The Hillside School is an independent boarding/day school for boys attending grades 5-9, located in a rural section of Marlborough, Massachusetts. The 200 acre campus includes four athletic fields, large operational spaces, and various buildings that house academic, administrative and residential functions. The Farm Manager will play an important role coordinating educational projects involving the farm that will require strong skills in leading, supervising, and communicating with groups of youth and adults. As a result, he/she would be expected to be knowledgeable about safety regulations and codes as well as safe work practices, laws affecting animal safety regulation and codes, and budget development and fiscal management.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
Create and carry out an annual farm plan that meets the needs of Hillside School’s many programs and constituencies. The plan shall include at minimum:
- Annual Farm Budget.
- Crop Production Plan.
- Farm products sales distribution plan.
- Farm maintenance plan.
- Greenhouse operation plan.
- Farm related programs plan for community classes and events.
- Farm staffing plan that seeks to incorporate volunteer and intern labor/education.
- Ensure that all daily farm-related tasks are completed including daily planting, weeding, harvesting, irrigating, soil amendment, and general maintenance.
- Coordinate and oversee the distribution of farm production to end-users, including providing produce to the students of Hillside School, providing produce for sale to the community, among others.
- Manage a compost operation; maintain garden infrastructure (irrigation, fences, tool repair…), and oversee daily care of the farm animals and farm landscape as needed.
Volunteer, Student, Intern, Job Corp Oversight
- Train and direct students, volunteers, and seasonal interns in doing the seasonal work of the farm.
- Lead individuals and groups of many ages in contribution to the work of the farm.
Educational and farm programs:
- Work with the outreach coordinator/urban farm organizer on outreach efforts to teachers within the community and outlying school districts to find effective ways to use the farm as an educational resource to supplement classroom work.
- Develop and implement farm and agriculture related training and education programs for adults in close collaboration with the Business Manager.
- Help incorporate educational opportunities into the farm schedule.
- Help develop and implement educational programs.
- Work with and assist local service groups (Boy/Girl scouts, 4-H) with service projects.
- Work closely with the Business Manager on farm related planning, coordinating, budgeting and operating.
- Prepare monthly reports on the status of planting and harvesting schedules, animal health, program schedules.
- Represent Hillside School and its agricultural programs at relevant conferences and events.
- Supervise all farm related interns and volunteers.
Hillside School farm program is growing and expanding. This is a great opportunity for a passionate person to jump in at a time when we are ready to explore and develop programs that reach beyond our current scope. We are working on many new programs and systems, and are eager to have a Farm Manager contribute to the conversation.
This position is a full-time, twelve-month, exempt position with a highly competitive benefit package including salary commensurate with experience and housing possible. The candidate will be exposed to inclement weather, must be willing to work flexible hours, as needed, including evening/weekend hours, and must be on-call 24 hours/day.
We will consider all qualified and enthusiastic individuals. The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in farm/ranch management, dairy, crop, horticulture, animal or agricultural science, related degree or an equivalent combination of work experience/training. A minimum of five years relevant experience as a farm manager is required.
Salary commensurates with experience. Position starts immediately
Please send application materials to Business Manager, Beth McWilliams at email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.