A five-acre, diversified organic farm and extensively landscaped 200 acre, private estate, under new ownership, seeks assistant farm manager. We are looking for a responsible, hard working, and flexible team player who is passionate about organic farming/gardening and has experience with sustainable farming practices. Located on the slopes of Mt.Veeder above Napa Valley, the farm includes an orchard with 250 fruit trees, berries, herbs, vegetable gardens, ornamental gardens and chickens. In addition, we will be growing Chinese Medicinal herbs as our primary business.
Potential Job Duties (shared by all crew members):
• Orchard Care: pruning, thinning, harvesting, cover cropping, weeding, fertilizing.
• Greenhouse Operation: all aspects of propagating plants (seeding, cuttings, divisions etc…). We will be growing our own Chinese herbs, vegetable starts, and landscaping plants.
• Irrigation installation and maintenance
• Veggies, berries, culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, ornamentals – bed preparation, seeding & planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, harvesting, fertilizing, etc…
• Buildings and Grounds Maintenance: roads, drainage, erosion, weeding, mowing, blowing, fallen trees, fences, equipment, minor repairs, etc….
• Making Compost
• Chicken Care
Fruit tree pruning
Additional Useful Skills:
Familiarity with Medicinal Herb Production
Compensation – competitive and based on experience. There is no housing available, but there is an affordable and beautiful cabin for rent 3 miles away.
Start date – ASAP
Please send resume and cover letter to (please include a description of the areas in which you have the greatest expertise and the areas in which you your experience is limited):