THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
Certified Naturally Grown (CNG) is a non-profit organization founded by farmers in 2002. CNG supports and strengthens the sustainable farming community by offering a certification program specifically tailored for direct-market producers selling locally and using natural farming and beekeeping methods (no use of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or genetically modified seeds).
CNG started as a regional program in New York’s mid-Hudson Valley but today includes farmers and beekeepers throughout the United States.
CNG’s certification standards and a listing of all participating farmers and beekeepers are online at www.naturallygrown.org.
Responsible for assisting with administration of the certification programs, bookkeeping, office management, and fostering local network development. This is currently a part time position (20-30 hours per week) that pays $14/hour. Work is to be done in our Brooklyn office during regular business hours.
The responsibilities of the position include the following:
– Process incoming mail, certification documents, and financial contributions
– Fulfill orders for marketing materials, prepare them for shipping
– Maintain up-to-date records of which program requirements have been met by each member
– Respond to inquiries from farmers and beekeepers interested in certification
– Perform basic bookkeeping tasks using QuickBooks
– Provide general office support: assemble mailings, data entry, ordering supplies
– Interview farmers and draft case studies about local farmer collaborations
– Ability to give consistent careful attention to details, and to be organized
– Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
– Team player and self-starter, responsive to feedback
– Strong customer service skills and interest in helping farmers
– Comfortable and connfident phone manner
– Experience using mail merge in Microsoft Word and Excel
– Ability to prioritize tasks and work comfortably in an office environment
– Positive attitude and ability to communicate well with diverse people
– College degree or equivalent experience
Desirable Skills and Qualities
– Experience working on a farm
– Experience caring for honey bees
– Knowledge of food and farming policy issues
– Experience with grassroots organizing
– Ability to write in a manner that is compelling, grammatical, clear and concise
Opportunities to expand the position into special projects may exist for candidates with particular interests or expertise.
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for at least two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email these items as a single PDF file attachment to Alice Varon, Executive Director, with the applicant’s last name included in the file name.
No phone calls please. Certified Naturally Grown is an equal opportunity employer and hires without regard to race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
Ideal start date is December 1, 2010.