Food Forward – an LA-based volunteer urban fruit harvesting non-profit is looking for its first Managing Director. This will be a paid, part-time independent contractor position for aprox. 20-25 hours a week with the goal of making it fulltime permanent salaried position within the first 6 8 months. The selected candidate may work from home for the first several months (and possibly on an ongoing basis) as we area virtual organization.
Before considering the job description below, we strongly suggest each candidate thoroughly looks over our website: foodforward.org. Please e-mail a resume as a PDF, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Duties will include:
• Oversee/be point person on the details and multiple steps in executing
• Be point person on day-to-day core team work: Properties, Volunteers,
Development, Can It!, Partnerships
• Manage budget and fundraising strategies
• Oversee relationship with Fiscal Sponsor
• Represent organization at smaller local networking events/farmers
• Sign off on all middle level decisions/movement in the organization
• Write most external communications and all major donor thank-yous
• Act as lead on social media: website updates/blog posting/Twitter
• Organize tabling at events/fairs/churches/synagogues/schools/etc.
• Manage transportation/storage/issues
• Coordinate larger complicated initiatives: i.e. organization/execution of
• Outreach to food pantries
• Close and regular check in and collaboration with Founder/Executive
Director and core Food Forward team members.
• Eventually help building a Board of Directors and taking the organization
to its own 501c.3 status.
• At least 3 years working in key position or top team management of a non-
• Strong understanding/passion for hunger and food related issues
• Strong experience, as well as understanding and sincere enjoyment of
working with/helping run an all-volunteer organization
• Creative and outside the box thinker – we are not interested in the “old”
models of running a non-profit
• Well networked with strong contacts and experience in development and fund raising
• Very strong written and public speaking abilities
• Excellent web 2-3.0 understanding and social media comprehension
• Ability to make a minimum of a 2-3 year commitment to position
• Bilingual (English/Spanish preferred)
• City of Los Angeles resident