Frontline Solutions a is seeking a dynamic individual with a passion for working with young people. The firm is currently accepting applications for a Field Coordinator for “Faith, Farming, and the Future,” a project in coordination with UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. The Field Coordinator will help design and execute a program that engages 60 young people in a paid opportunity to work on a project focusing on local foods, sustainable agriculture, leadership and entrepreneurship working through faith communities in Warren County, NC. The Coordinator will be paid $18-22 an hour for approximately 10 hours per week for this 18 month project.
About the Project:
The UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention has initiated a community-based participatory research effort to explore the potential of rebuilding local food economies as an approach to ultimately reducing health disparities. The project will work through 4 rural Black churches in Warren County, North Carolina, and will involve forming youth action teams of church members and other youth participants to conduct a youth-developed community environmental assessment regarding resources and challenges surrounding the prevention of childhood obesity. Youth will be engaged in one of five teams: Project Leadership, Creative, Marketing, Production and Research.
The Field Coordinator Position:
The Field Coordinator will engage and oversee Warren County youth participants and volunteer mentors in the design and implementation of farm and food-based entrepreneurial projects. The Field Coordinator will work closely with directors and staff from Frontline Solutions, the UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, and Coley Springs Missionary Baptist Church.
The Field Coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
• Planning and Staff Communication
– Participating in quarterly team meetings with Senior Advisor and all relevant project personnel
– Conducting bi-weekly check-ins with Senior Advisor to provide advice and general support
• Volunteer engagement
– Recruiting, training, and supporting volunteer “adult” mentor teams to work directly with youth
– Interfacing with mentor team leaders to coordinate volunteer involvement with youth teams.
• Youth Engagement:
– Developing a strategy to identify and recruit approximately 60 youth to the program
– Working with program staff and volunteers to develop selection criteria and admit program participants
– Working with youth, volunteers and program staff to develop 10-15 training modules for youth
– Coordinating the day-to day execution of the program, including scheduling logistics
– Working with youth to develop and execute a community engagement strategy that connects the program to Warren County residents and neighbors
Successful applicants will possess:
• Strong experience and track record working with youth of color
• Ability to engage and inspire youth around rural agriculture and entrepreneurial projects
• Ability to work independently, under supervision, and in a team environment
• Availability for a potential 18 month commitment to the project
Experience with agriculture and farming is not required, but applicants should be willing to get involved in farming activities and engage with volunteers and youth around agricultural needs. Applicants should also be comfortable working in a faith-based environment, though religious affiliation is also not a requirement.
Compensation is $18-22 per hour, 10 hours per week. Candidates should expect to spend the majority of their working hours in Warren County, NC.
To apply: please send a resume, cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com
Questions can be referred to Emily Hylton at firstname.lastname@example.org
At least one should be from a manager or former manager and at least one should be from a youth the applicant has worked with. Submit by November 26, 2010.
**Minority candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply**
Frontline Solutions, a non-profit organization, was founded to help individuals and institutions to strategically manage change to a productive outcome. By building community, offering support to social change leaders, and developing targeted research, Frontline Solutions is helping change happen.