The Edible Schoolyard is offering a kitchen classroom internship to the right individual wishing to gain experience in a stimulating nonprofit environment.
Duration: 4 months, 3-5 days per week (depending on need)
Compensation: Unpaid, Lunch provided
About the Edible Schoolyard
The Edible Schoolyard (ESY) is a program of the Chez Panisse Foundation. The Chez Panisse Foundation is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization founded by Alice Waters in 1995. The Foundation develops and supports programs in public schools that use food to educate, nurture, and empower youth.
ESY is a hands-on educational program at Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, CA, where students in sixth, seventh, and eighth grade tend a school garden, plant and harvest vegetables, and prepare and eat seasonal dishes in a kitchen classroom. ESY is not an elective – all students in the school attend classes in the kitchen and garden with their history and science teachers. Since 1995, over 3,000 students have graduated from King School and ESY.
ESY Kitchen Classroom Internship Overview
The internship involves both day-to-day responsibilities and short-term projects in the Edible Schoolyard kitchen classroom. The kitchen intern supports the chef teacher and assistant chef teacher in a wide range of daily tasks. Short-term projects will include photo and written documentation of program activities, recipe archiving, and related research. We are seeking an energetic individual with a keen interest in working with adolescents; an extensive knowledge of seasonal foods, from-scratch cooking, and kitchen culture; fastidious attention to detail; and a vibrant appreciation for the life lessons learned around the table. Previous food service experience and an internalized “sense of urgency” is a defining advantage.
- Clearance to work in a public school
- Current TB vaccine
- Commitment to work M,W,F 8:30-4:30
- Professional cooking experience and working knowledge of local, seasonal, organic foods
- Enthusiasm for working with middle school aged youth and ability to establish rapport with students and families from a wide array of economic and cultural backgrounds
- Current driver’s license a plus
- Bilinguality is a plus
Essential Job Duties
- Assist with cooking classes in the kitchen classroom
- Assist with facilities maintenance
- Assist with procurement of food, equipment, and supplies
- Short-term projects
- Assist with hands-on cooking classes for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students
- Engage students through a sense of fun, spontaneity, and a positive attitude
- Foster curricular links
- Demonstrate working understanding of from-scratch recipes using fresh, seasonal, local ingredients
- Maintain the inside and outside of the kitchen classroom to ensure the facility is clean, safe, and welcoming
- Maintain safety standards for food handling and equipment upkeep, including refrigeration, supplies rotation, dishwashing, stoves and ovens, hand tools, and knives
- Maintain floral and harvest displays
- Photograph classes; download and maintain photo files
- Establish digital recipe archive
- Proficient in print, voice, and digital communication
- Interns are encouraged to identify and complete a creative project that supports the kitchen classroom
The Chez Panisse Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send cover letter and resumé to:
The Edible Schoolyard
Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School
Attn: Shaina Robbins
1781 Rose Street
Berkeley, CA 94703
No phone calls or drop-ins, please.