Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center seeks a Full-time, seasonal Dairy Apprentice to assist in all operations of the Adamah Goat Dairy, including herd management and cheesemaking.
Located in Falls Village, Connecticut, Isabella Freedman’s mission is to build spiritually vibrant, socially progressive Jewish community.
Adamah is a program of Isabella Freedman that connects people to their roots – to the land, to community, to Judaism and to themselves – by providing educational programs and products in order to build a more sustainable world.
• Assisting in all aspects of cheesemaking, including sanitization, pasteurizing, cutting, and packing
• Assisting with herd management, including milking, feeding and general care
• Assisting with barnyard upkeep including schlepping heavy items (grain, hay) and construction projects
• Managing production if the Dairy Manager is away
• Assisting with and sometimes manage product sales
• Working with ADAMAH Fellows in the Cultural Center
Dairy apprentice may take over for current dairy manager in 2012
– Have a good attitude about hard work
– Pay attention to details and be meticulous about cleanliness
– You should be compassionate towards animals and people
– Work in commercial food service is preferred but not necessary
– Prior experience working with goats is appreciated but not required; you must simply be eager and ready to learn
– You must want to be part of a progressive, heart-centered, environmentally committed Jewish community.
Field, dairy and pickle apprentices:
– receive one full day per month for a group field trip
– receive ½ of a day 3 times/month for special projects
Apprenticeship Dates: April 1 – December 15, 2011. Compensation includes room & board, opportunity to participate in Isabella Freedman retreats, and a modest stipend.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and two references to email@example.com. Please state why
Isabella Freedman is an Equal Opportunity Employer