Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center seeks a Full-time, seasonal Value-Added Products Apprentice to assist in all operations of the Adamah Value-Added Products business (pickling, jamming, preserving).
Located in Falls Village, Connecticut, Isabella Freedman’s mission is to build spiritually vibrant, socially progressive Jewish community.
Adamah is a program of Isabella Freedman that connects people to their roots –
to the land, to community, to Judaism and to themselves – by providing
educational programs and products in order to build a more sustainable world.
Production (75%); Marketing/Sales/Distribution (15%); Experimentation (5%); Spring Greenhouse and Field help (5%)
Production and Experimentation may include:
• Making pickles, kimchi, dilly beans, sauerkraut/firekraut, hot sauce, jam, and other specialty products.
• Improving current recipes.
• Working in the greenhouse and fields in April and May
Marketing, Sales and Distribution may include:
• Finding and/or setting up new accounts.
• Driving the 12’ Delivery Truck or other vehicles to make deliveries for up to 5 hour round trip.
• Selling at special events on and off-site.
• Conducting demos (tastings/samples) at stores that sell our products.
Field, dairy and pickle apprentices:
– receive one full day per month for a group field trip
– are allocated ½ of a day 3 times/month for special projects
You must be able and willing to:
– hold a leadership position
– manage the fellows to work appropriately and efficiently without direct supervision on a day-to day basis
– train fellows in food processing tasks
– hold responsibility for the safety and quality of products
– lift heavy boxes
– Experience with direct marketing (tabling at events, selling at a farmer’s market) is a plus
– You must want to be part of a progressive, heart-centered, environmentally committed Jewish community.
Apprenticeship Dates: April 1 –– December 15, 2011. Compensation includes room & board, opportunity to participate in Isabella Freedman retreats, and a modest stipend.
Please send a cover letter, resume and two references to email@example.com. Please state why you feel you are uniquely suited to this position.
Isabella Freedman is an Equal Opportunity Employer