THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
About the farm
· The farm is housed on a 290-acre property that is independently owned and located near Half Moon Bay, California (1 hour south of San Francisco). There are many facets to the management and use of this land and all activities are carried out in cooperation with the landowners.
· The CSA aspect of the farm for which we are seeking apprentices produces seasonal vegetables on four acres from May to November, along with pastured turkeys, meat chickens and laying hens. All that is produced goes first to 40 families who hold shares in the farm and what is not taken is then donated to an organization that offers it to folks in need.
· The CSA side of the farm is managed by a farm manager and a garden manager using Biodynamic principles and practices. We make as much on-site compost as possible, have both a small hand-scale garden as well as row crops and a large amount of dry-farmed crops.
· We are seeking farm apprentices for the season from April 1 to November 30.
· The position is 41 hours a week 7:30 to 4:30 M-F and one hour on one evening a week.
· The position will be for general farm work.
· Apprentice will be exposed to all aspects of running the farm from creating a budget, to ordering materials and seed to propagation and harvest of vegetables, eggs and meat birds for a CSA.
· All work will be done side by side with the farm and garden managers.
· While apprentice will be exposed to a range of what it takes to run the farm, the primary expectation for the position is to be prepared to work.
· Those interested in a CSA as the sole outlet for farm products will gain the most from work here.
· Applicants should have a genuine interest in farming professionally in the future.
· Good physical condition and desire to work hard outside each day.
· It is expected that apprentices will do what is necessary to arrive for work rested and having considered their needs to stay healthy and prepared to work efficiently through the season.
Housing and compensation
· Housing will be provided and is a single private room.
· A shared kitchen and bathroom will be available at all times.
· Compensation will be $8/hour and a share in the CSA – apprentice will receive all the members’ benefits: pick up from the farm stand of produce and eggs (weekly) and meat (twice during the season).
· Workmen’s Comp insurance for job-related injuries is provided.
The hiring process
· Send a cover letter including your answers to the questions below, resume, two references, and contact information.
· If chosen we will contact you for a phone or, preferably, on-farm interview.
· The position is open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline is January 15, 2011.
· We will be making a final decision no later than March 1st.
Apprentice application questions
· How did you become interested in work on farms and what do you hope to come away with after the experience of working on a farm?
· What do you think is most interesting about yourself or something you do?
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Potrero Nuevo Farm, 1045 Tunitas Creek Road, Half Moon Bay, CA, 94019. 650-726-5700