One AmeriCorp VISTA member will join our innovative Veggie Mobile program. The Veggie Mobile is a mobile market which helps to alleviate poverty-related health issues by providing affordable fresh produce to inner city neighborhoods that don’t have access to healthy food options. This VISTA member will work with the Veggie Mobile team to create educational programs; produce marketing, publicity and outreach materials; develop partnerships with local farmers; recruit and organize volunteers; and research and develop funding resources to ensure project sustainability.
The second AmeriCorp VISTA will assist with the planning of Capital District Community Gardens’ Urban Grow Center – a green building which will train inner-city youth and adults in agricultural related businesses and work with The Produce Project. The Center’s programs will be aimed at creating stronger links between the region’s rural, urban and suburban communities by fostering the regional food web, improving local agriculture and access to fresh, healthy food. This VISTA member will work outdoors on The Produce Project with our teen trainees and Farmer, and support educational programs for the teens. In addition, the member will research and develop new program ideas for the Center; create presentation materials; conduct outreach; research green materials and technologies; and contribute to the creation of business venture/job training programs.
- An interest in working in an inner-city environment with a focus on sustainable agriculture, food access, urban greening and healthy living;
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills;
- Experience with community organizing, in education or related field;
- Experience coordinating a project or group of volunteers;
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
COMPENSATION: AmeriCorps VISTA Position
– $891 monthly living allowance
– Health Insurance
– $5,350 Education Award applied to existing student loans or continuing education OR $1,500 End-of-Service Stipend
– Paid vacation, training
– A chance to learn while making a difference!!
For more information and application: (http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp)
All candidates must apply through Americorps VISTA application process to be considered.
For information about either of these opportunities contact Sharon DiLorenzo at firstname.lastname@example.org.