About the National Farm to School Network (NFSN): The NFSN sprouted from the desire to support community-based food systems, strengthen family farms and improve student health by reducing childhood obesity. The NFSN is a collaborative led by the Urban & Environmental Policy Institute (UEPI), Occidental College, and the Community Food Security Coalition (CFSC), with support from eight Regional Lead Agencies (RLA) spread all over the country. The NFSN coordinates, promotes and expands Farm to School at the state, regional and national levels by focusing efforts on the priority areas of: information development and dissemination, media and marketing, networking, training and technical assistance, policy advocacy, research and evaluation and FoodCorps.
Scope of Work: The NFSN is seeking the services of a Fundraising Consultant to work with NFSN staff and RLAs on selected fundraising strategies as outlined in the NFSN Strategic Action Plan approved in 2010. These include: (a) increased focus on additional grant funding; (b) creating a donations program, including through membership; and (c) exploring corporate sponsorships and partnerships. The NFSN seeks services in the three areas of fundraising detailed below:
- Establish a grant writing team that includes national staff and RLAs, who can assist with evaluating funding opportunities, drafting copy and reviewing proposal drafts.
- Create a grants calendar that includes targeted foundations/sources and names the person responsible, then schedule follow up as needed.
- Conduct research to help identify new funders and proposal opportunities and help evaluate potential funders’ fit with Network priorities and programs.
- Assist in the creation of a system to track grants submitted and received, funder reporting requirements and grant renewal dates.
- Help monitor and coordinate writing and submission of letters of intent and grant proposals based on the annual submission plan and emerging opportunities.
- Help build relationships with new and ongoing funders by facilitating meetings and helping draft communications, as appropriate.
2. Donations Program
- In coordination with NFSN Membership & Communications Associate, develop an online donations program for the NFSN to include development of members as potential donors.
- Help draft materials for communicating with potential donors through various channels – online, in person, at regional and national meetings or conferences and through RLA and state lead partnerships.
- Recommend other options for increasing donations – targeted annual mailing appeal, cultivation of individual donors, etc.
- Develop a system to track and report donations and membership.
3. Corporate Sponsorships and Partnerships
- Develop a corporate sponsorship plan and guidelines for accepting corporate contributions through sponsorships and partnerships.
- Determine the benefits to the NFSN and to the sponsor.
- Research and prioritize companies whose products and services are well-aligned with the mission and activities of the NFSN.
- Develop simple but effective marketing materials to communicate the benefits of partnering with the NFSN to potential corporate sponsors.
- Network to arrange meetings with key decision makers in target companies to explore and solidify sponsorships that can benefit both the NFSN and the business partner.
- Create a procedure to respond to member concerns about corporate sponsorships; clarify who has final decision-making and who will respond to concerns related to corporate sponsorships and partnerships.
- Significant experience in nonprofit fundraising, including online donation programs, grant writing and management and corporate sponsorships
- Experience working at national level
- Self-motivated with strong interpersonal skills and commitment to working collaboratively with a wide range of partners and under limited supervision
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Detail-oriented and well organized
- Hard working and dependable with the ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience working with networks, coalitions or membership-based organizations
- Interest or past experience working in the areas of Farm to School, community food systems, health, school nutrition and sustainable agriculture
Terms of Contract: This is a one-year contractual position with the National Farm to School Network, with an anticipated start date of February 2011.
To Apply: Address all questions and applications to Anupama Joshi, Co-Director, National Farm to School Network. To apply, please submit a cover letter and brief proposal (5-6 pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm EST on Monday, January 17, 2011. Please include “Development Associate” in your email’s subject line. Your proposal should include a specific action plan and timeline for work in the three areas specified above and a proposed budget.