Application Deadline: January 15, 2011
The Westside Community Market is a premier vendor-run, producer-only market on the near-west side of Madison, WI at Segoe and Sheboygan Roads. The market runs rain or shine every Saturday from the 3rd week in April until the 1st week in November. We are looking for a Market Manager who can both manage the day to day operations of the market and also work closely with the Market Board to plan for the Market’s future growth and development. Attendance on all market days and at Market Board meetings is required for this position. A successful applicant will be self-motivated, an excellent communicator, and have strong organizational skills.
Duties – in season
- Enroll farmers/vendors in the market – either through seasonal vendor agreements or as daily vendors
- Collect all stall fees owed, make accurate accounting and deposit in market account
- Arrive prior to market vendors arriving and remain throughout the market day to:
- Place daily vendors in stalls and confirm season stall-holders are properly placed.
- Place market signs, parking signs
- Ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to
- Answer questions for vendors and consumers
- Oversee Market Tent (set-up, volunteer staffing, supplies, etc)
- Resolve disputes that arise
- Maintain market grounds in a safe manner
- Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and the vendors have left for the day.
- Recruit, schedule, and supervise volunteers at Market Tent
- Provide timely and accurate financial information to the Market Board
- Communicate market policies, activities and rules to farmers, keeping them informed throughout the season
- Solicit entertainment for market days
- Maintain database of farmers, vendors, their contact information, and any licenses or permits each vendor possesses based on the products they are selling.
- Work with farm inspectors to collect and maintain inspection records.
- Create and send weekly e-newsletter to market mailing list
- Restock market supplies as necessary
Duties – off season
- Vendor recruitment
- Community relationship development
- Fundraising/Grant writing
- Advertising/ promotional program development
- Work with market board/committee to plan for market growth and development
- Proficiency creating and using spreadsheets to maintain data
- Ability to work creatively and independently
- Good communication, organizing, and dispute resolution skills
- Experience working with budgets and financial upkeep
- Passionate about the community and local agriculture
- Preferred Skills:
- Web maintenance/updating
- Marketing experience
- Fundraising and/or Grant Writing
This is a 20 hr/week position in-season, and 10 hr/week off-season. Pay is commensurate with experience, starting at $12/hr. Start date is February 11, 2011.
The Market Manager is hired by and reports directly to the Board of Directors. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample (see below) to the attention of the WCM Board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “WCM Manager Application” in the subject line.
Writing Sample: Please submit a 200-word press release for the Westside Community Market for a fictitious event of your choosing.
We anticipate conducting interviews for the position on January 25, 2011.
The Westside Community Market does not discriminate against Members or potential members on the basis of the individual’s sex, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, handicap, marital status, physical characteristics, source of income, arrest record, conviction record, less than honorable discharge, physical appearance, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or student status.