- PURPOSE: To coordinate a small urban agricultural site that grows a variety of seasonal produce, train adolescents in sustainable horticulture, entrepreneurship and food preparation techniques during after school hours and six week summer program, and function as a resource for community education and outreach about health, nutrition and food security issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop planting and maintenance plan for succession plantings for the schoolyard garden;
- Assist interested teachers in using the garden space as a classroom;
- Deliver weekly workshops during Jr. GYF season including the daily snack prep using garden raised produce using GYF provided curriculum;
- Manage a schedule of tasks for Jr. GYF participant work assignments at the site, including planting, weeding, watering, and harvesting of produce;
- Manage related site tasks including tool and machinery use and maintenance, deliveries and general security during operating hours;
- Act as a resource for information for project partners, community members, Garden staff and the media as required;
- Assist with distribution of food to local food pantries and school lunch system where/when possible;
- Lead team building exercises;
- Lead after-school garden club activities twice a week (May-June & Sept. – Oct.)
- Plan and coordinate weekly field trips during six-week summer program;
- Keep accurate records of produce harvested and donated.
- Assist at nearby Washington Park/Dyett High School Green Youth Farm as needed.
DEPARTMENT: Community Gardening
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator, Program Manager
SUPERVISES: Jr. GYF participants, volunteers and Garden Club participants
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Organic vegetable production and experience in working with youth are essential. Degree in horticulture or related subject is highly desirable. Candidate must be dependable, responsible, able to work independently and adapt to flexible schedule. Must have a valid drivers license and be able to lift 40 pounds. Dependable transportation is a must. Some weekend and evening work required to implement the program.
PAY: $15/hour, 40 hours/week
CONTACT: email@example.com for more information