Friends of the Farms seeks a highly motivated, community-minded individual with proven leadership, management, marketing and fundraising skills to play a central role in the continued growth and transformation of a grass-roots non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and enhancement of local farming.
Our organization focuses on providing workable land for farmers, through a variety of means: acquisition of land through city-sponsored initiatives, collaboration with land trust organizations, creation of leases for appropriate use of city-owned farmland, matching private landowners with farmers, and creating legacy land-giving programs.
Mission: Friends of the Farms works to preserve and enhance local farming. By developing an innovative model to preserve, utilize and manage local agricultural lands, we are creating a sustainable, beautiful and resilient community that thrives upon healthy food grown on local farmland.
The Position: Working at the direction of the Board of the Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for providing leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s mission, vision, strategic plan as well as its annual goals and objectives. Specific responsibilities will include tasks in leadership, financial management, program management, administrative and contract management, fund development and communications and marketing.
Successful candidates will present a track record of at least three years in an executive leadership position that will demonstrate the following:
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors.
- Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Represent the organization at community events to enhance the organization’s community profile.
- Prepare annual budget in collaboration with Treasurer and Board of Directors
- Administer organizational funds according to the approved budget and maintain an ongoing cash flow analysis with Treasurer.
- Provide Board of Directors with monthly reports on revenues and expenditures.
- Attend monthly board meetings and Executive Committee meetings as scheduled.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to its mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Provide administrative project management of farmland capital improvement and maintenance projects.
- Establish and maintain database of farmland properties that may become available for lease, acquisition and/or preservation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders and identifying new potential participants in and contributors to the organization.
- Collaborate with the organization’s fundraising committee on fundraising campaign and strategies.
- Oversee development of an annual fundraising plan and cultivate individual donors.
- Write and submit grant proposals and administer grant records and documentation.
- Support fundraising and/or outreach committees in ensuring successful fundraising events.
Communications and Marketing
- Establish and maintain sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations, contract partners, funders and other organizations.
- Represent the mission and programs of the organization to agencies, organizations and the general public.
- Foster strong relationships with farmers, membership and volunteers.
- Work with fundraising and/or outreach committee in developing, executing and evaluating all marketing and promotional strategies.
TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Friends of the Farms via email. Inquiries will be held in confidence: firstname.lastname@example.org.