The Farm Educator would work closely with the Farm Manager and Foodlink Nutrition Educator to develop lessons, outreach initiatives, and deepen youth engagement with Freshwise Farms. The Farm Educator would have primary responsibility for creation, implementation, and evaluation of a garden-based education curriculum, playing a critical role in the initial development of the Farm to School program.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly-motivated individual with a background in agriculture and environmental education. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who values education, collaboration, and innovation and cares deeply about addressing the problems of hunger and poverty in the community.
- Develop a comprehensive farm education program through collaboration with AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteers, Freshwise Farm and Foodlink staff
- Conduct on-site environmental education programs, including agricultural, ecology field studies, and team-building activities, using hands-on, inquiry-based activities and teaching styles
- Conduct classroom outreach at area schools and child care centers
- Facilitate implementation of youth empowerment program with goal of training youth leaders of education programs
- Participate in staff development including training and conferences
- Assist with farm chores as needed, including animal care, planting and harvesting
- Participate in Freshwise Farms special events
- Support educational, community, and environmental outreach through presentations, demonstrations, newsletters, Web sites, and/or other outreach activities
- Build involvement in and commitment to the farm within the school community, including teachers, administrators, students, parents and community volunteers, by collaborating with Freshwise Farms and Foodlink staff
- Familiarity with farming and farm-based education
- Excellent oral and written skills and ease in talking to the public
- Strong creative thinking skills
- A commitment to forming collaborative relationships with youth, co-workers, and community
- Experience supervising staff
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations
- Well organized, detail oriented, and able to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient computer skills
- Physical ability to assist with farm chores
- Ability and willingness to travel to different neighborhoods in Rochester, NY
- Reliable transportation and driver’s license
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus
- CPR and First-Aid training, or a willingness to acquire training
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Freshwise Farms
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Science, Environmental Education, Agriculture, Education, Natural Resources, Physical or Outdoor Recreation, or a related field
- Minimum 1-2 years experience working with youth in formal and/or informal education programs
- Strong interest and/or educational background in agriculture, health and nutrition, health education, urban gardening, farm-to-school, food systems, food access, and small scale organic food production
- Employment contingent on successful passing of drug test and background test
The Farm Education Coordinator will be compensated with a salary starting at 30,000/year plus benefits. This salary is negotiable pending previous experience and expertise.
We are looking for an individual who can start as early as February 15, but considerations for a later start date will be made pending interviews. The location would be in Penfield and Rochester, NY.
For more information, please contact Emily Dwaileebe: firstname.lastname@example.org