Currently seeking an assistant farm manager for a full time growth-oriented position.
- Have a keen interest in sustainable agriculture and local food.
- Be highly motivated, hardworking, in good physical condition, and comfortable in a high-paced environment.
- Have 2-3 years experience in growing vegetables and herbs organically.
- Be a people-oriented person with effective leadership skills
- Exemplify excellent teaching skills and be able to mentor interns in horticulture and farming practices.
- Be organized, attentive to detail, and able to devise efficient work plans.
- Be able to work alongside others in a cooperative environment and communicate well.
In this position you will be asked to lead, train and guide a crew of 4-8 interns.
Responsibilities will be suited to your abilities, with resources and guidance available from the owners who primarily take care of planning and marketing.
- Be responsible for vegetable production by implementing work goals.
- Be responsible for the instruction of interns in individual and group settings; train interns through demonstration and explanation communicating basic organic principles from seed to harvest.
- Lead by example and set a work pace for others by demonstrating punctuality, high energy and self-direction.
- Utilize critical thinking to adapt and prioritize work plans and respond flexibly to changes in the work environment; supervise multiple concurrent activities; assess individual strengths and weaknesses within a team and delegate accordingly.
- Attend weekly meetings; be receptive to feedback; record observations and suggest improvements to the farm.
We aim to provide an empowering environment to further personal and professional growth. In this position you will be able to:
- Develop practical experience and focus on growing specialty vegetables under experienced direction, growing in the field and in high tunnels.
- Work with healthy soil, have access to a wide variety of tools and the use of new, clean and orderly harvest facilities.
- Actively engage with a diverse group of interns and volunteers.
- Have comfortable accommodations on-site.
- Enjoy family-style meals, the opportunity to cook with others and eat fresh healthy food.
This is a salaried position.
Deadline to apply is January 21, 2011 or until position is filled.
For details please apply by sending cover letter with resume:
Four Seasons Farm
RR#1, Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada B0N 1T0