Food In the Fort Internships 2011
The Food in the Fort gardens are a new part of CAC Beardsley Community Farm that benefits the Food in the Fort (FIF) food kitchen which operates under the 501c3 of Redeeming Hope Ministries and out of Redeemer Church of Knoxville in Fort Sanders. It consists of seven beds in Malcolm Martin Park, numerous berry brambles, and a young orchard.
This is the first season that we have had interns at Food in the Fort. As an intern you will work closely with the staff of Beardsley Farm and volunteers at Food in the Fort.
We are looking for…
6 unpaid interns available to begin work in February working 5-10 hours a week
Your primary responsibilities are:
1. To maintain a working knowledge of the current status of the plants in the garden beds. This will include, but will not be limited to crop rotation, pest control, weeding, watering, planting, harvesting, etc.
2. To maintain communication with Food in The Fort’s Gardens Coordinator at Redeemer, keeping appropriate parties abreast of the gardens’ needs and progress. This will involve estimating required labor for harvesting, watering, and weeding the beds and getting this information to the Garden Coordinator at Redeemer so he or she can schedule volunteers well in advance.
3. To safely and respectfully train, mentor, and supervise volunteers in all aspects of the FIF garden beds.
4. To work with Food in the Fort to distribute the food at the Church every other Wednesday morning from 10 am – 2 pm and to help put up or preserve any excess harvest.
5. To put in a minimum of 5 hours a week working on the garden beds.
You must have a good working knowledge of organic and sustainable gardening. You must be organized, reliable, punctual, able to work respectfully with others, able to manage multiple tasks, have reliable transportation (bus, bike or car) and a willingness to work outside in all weather conditions.
This is a great opportunity for an independent study, to gain work experience, to gain gardening knowledge or to fulfill school-issued volunteer hours.
Priority will be given to those who can commit to the entire season (February-November)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a current resume, contact information for two references, and a letter of interest. Call 865-546-8446 with questions.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will continue until the position is filled.