Grow it Green Morristown is seeking two reliable, hands- ‐on, urban farm interns to assist with the cultivation and teaching opportunities at the Urban Farm at Lafayette. The cultivated area of our farm is approximately one- ‐half acre. All of our farm practices follow organic recommendations and emphasize overall sustainability, but we are not certified organic. The Urban Farm Interns will be responsible for helping to manage the Urban Farm at Lafayette for food production and education, and helping coordinate the distribution of farm products to Grow it Green Morristown’s various constituencies.
However, beyond being a farm, The Urban Farm at Lafayette is an educational center for
the community and the 4,700 children of the Morris School District, making this job
opportunity distinct from many typical farm jobs. The Farm Interns will play an
important role assisting with educational projects involving the farm. This will require
self- ‐confidence and a professional attitude, as well as being able to deal with a variety of
diverse groups. Our interns must be able to work with groups of youth and adults. The
Urban Farm Interns will report to the Farm Manager and the Urban Farm Organizer.
Interns should desire to learn more about gardening and production of food, as well as
have a desire to work with children and the public. We are a community oriented non- ‐
profit, as such we will expect the intern to help with programs and classes at the garden.
Occasionally, the intern will work at the Community Garden on Early Street.
As the garden is located on school district property and interns will be working with
District children, the applicant must be able to pass a criminal background check and
submit to fingerprinting.
Duties will include:
Hands on physical labor
1. Basic care, feeding, and tending of a large- ‐scale vegetable garden, including
shoveling, weeding, and watering. Ability to use the tools to complete these
tasks, such as pruners, wheelbarrows, hoses, etc.
2. Must be able to lift heavy loads (such as soil, compost, rocks, etc.)
3. Must be ready to paint, help build raised beds, trellis and general garden tidying
up a necessity.
A mature, positive attitude
1. Dependable, organized, flexible and have a sense of humor.
2. Must be a self- ‐starter and work with little supervision – many times the intern
may be the only person working at the garden.
3. Can be flexible due to weather constraints (i.e. heavy rain one day may change
the work schedule)
4. Must be personable, like working with all kinds of people including children and
our diverse community members
5. Work as a member of a team
6. A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, with minimal
7. Excellent communication skills
Other items that are important to both you and us
1. Some office work will be required
2. Spanish speaking is a plus
3. Flexibility with work assignments
4. This is not a n established internship program – we are creating it as we go and
welcome you to be apart of our growing organization
5. Must have own transportation.
6. NJ Transit train station is located within one mile of the Urban Farm
This is a seasonal based position. We are currently offering two positions. We have opportunities available for college students from May 23rd to August 26th (these datescan be adjusted to accommodate the student) and from March 21st to October 14th, part
time, 25 hours a week. During the months of June- ‐August, the interns must be willing to
work a minimum of one day each weekend. This position is an outdoor job and requires
the ability to work in a variety of weather conditions, including very hot and humid
weather. On days where outdoor work is impossible, interns may be asked to
participate in office related work or reschedule a workday. The workday beings at 8:30
am and ends at 4:30, with an hour break for lunch. The lunch hour is unpaid. There is no
housing provided. Interns will be paid $12/ hr.
Email a resume, the names and contact information of three references and a cover letter
describing your relevant experience to Samantha Rothman (firstname.lastname@example.org)