Throughout its 15-year history, Just Food has connected New York City residents of all economic backgrounds with local, sustainable food and the farmers who grow it. Our networks are building a robust local-family-farm economy and growing healthier citizens—all while shrinking our collective environmental footprint. Just Food’s programs build the capacity of New Yorkers to grow their own food; create direct connections to local food producers; cook healthy, delicious meals; and advocate for a more just and sustainable food system.
In order to build community and increase support for our work, Just Food organizes and hosts a robust and diverse range of community, educational, and fundraising events. Just Food’s events program will be embarking on a period of transition and growth in 2011. Our new Events Manager will be responsible for shaping , developing, and providing leadership for this expanded program, as well as managing ongoing activities, including:
- Let Us Eat Local: Just Food’s major, annual fundraising event that brings together local chefs, brewers, vintners and other food artisans to showcase the best of our region’s food system at the heart of harvest season. Tickets begin at $150; projected net revenue exceeds $60,000.
- Annual Conferences (1-2): Just Food hosts an annual CSA in NYC Conference and a biannual Food Justice Summit. Each conference attracts between 600-1000 participants.
- Food Education Workshops: collaborating with the Community Food Education Program Coordinator to develop and deliver educational programming for a variety of audiences and age groups on local food, cooking, and health related topics.
- Developing new education and event concepts and foster new partnerships and event opportunities.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Institute new vehicles for fundraising, creating viable events from idea to implementation. Develop original event concepts and plans and market concepts to volunteers, staff, Board of Directors, Host Committee, corporate sponsors, and other supporters.
- Oversee and implement the marketing and sales strategies for each event and project including media outreach.
- Cultivate Host Committee leadership and corporate support for Just Food events.
- Help cultivate new and maintain positive relationships with Just Food Board members; chefs, brewers, vintners and other partners, corporate sponsors; consultants; host committees; vendors/suppliers; and media contacts.
- Establish annual income and expense goals and evaluate progress, adjusting priorities as required to meet goals. Create standardized procedures, policies, and reporting formats. Produce analyses for/after each event.
- Maintain and oversee the special events calendar.
- Negotiate contracts for event components with vendors, consultants, sponsors, venues, etc. Review contracts for accuracy.
- Help create and direct the production of all event- and project-related materials. Select, refine, and maintain mailing lists.
- Develop and disseminate information both internally and externally regarding events, ensuring communication and coordination among all involved.
- Provide follow-up up on all events, including securing all pledges and writing prompt letters of acknowledgement
- Assist with non-fund-raising events including Conferences and other educational offerings
- Provide leadership and be fluent in speaking about and representing Just Foods at events.
- Manage committee of volunteers, staff, and vendors involved in the execution of events.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum three to four year’s experience in special event fund-raising or equivalent position and demonstrated capacity to manage successful fundraising events, campaigns, and projects.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends;
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in using databases, Microsoft Office programs, social networking tools and willingness to learn new applications
- Hard-working, articulate, confident and self-motivated, with the ability to organize and prioritize work, time frames, production schedules, and meet critical deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Experience/knowledge of food justice, local food systems, and sustainability a plus.
- A dynamic, enthusiastic and polished individual with excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to represent Just Food and discuss NYC food systems with a variety of audiences
- Someone with a ‘get-it-done’ attitude who is hands-on, a self starter and responds well to direction and constructive feedback
- Someone who interacts exceptionally well with people, both internally and externally and has a deep familiarity with multicultural settings—we strongly welcome candidates from all backgrounds as we are committed to having a staff that reflects the cultural and ethnic diversity of the communities we serve
- A person who is obsessively organized, detail oriented and thorough
- An individual who does well in a team environment, is passionate about his/her work, and is eager to make a contribution to the success of the organization
This is a full-time position. Reports to the Executive Director.
For further information on Just Food, please visit our website at justfood.org
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Just Food is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. People of color, differently-abled people and LGBT persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Qualified candidates send cover letter and resume by email to Just Food at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Events Manager” in the subject line and respond no later than January 24, 2010.