White Gate Farm, located on 100 picturesque acres in East Lyme CT, is seeking a full-time farmer to head up crop production and participate in other aspects of this certified organic farm. We have 3.5 acres under cultivation plus 2 large hoop houses where we produce vegetables year round. We grow many varieties of vegetables, berries, and flowers, and raise poultry and lamb, which we mainly market at our on-site farm stand, open two days a week. We also sell to restaurants and to Dinners at the Farm, hosted by us each summer. We are expanding our operation to include a new commercial kitchen where we will make value-added products and offer cooking classes.
Job description: This is a full-time, live-in position to begin March 1 2011. We will take special interest in a career-minded couple looking for a multi-year commitment. (It is likely that at least a half-time position will open up as well). The normal work week for the head farmer is Tuesday through Saturday with one evening, when the farm stand is open.
The head farmer’s responsibilities include:
- Crop production in collaboration with the manager/owners and other workers
- Creating “value added” sauces, jams and so forth
- Nutrient Density testing of crops and soil and the application of minerals & other inputs
- Assisting with poultry processing
- Running the farm stand
- Helping with our new composting project
Required skills and experience:
- 2 years experience on an organic farm and a degree or training in agriculture or horticulture
- Knowledge and skill in all aspects of crop production and harvesting
- A passion for farming and healthy food
- Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with manager/owners, fellow workers and customers
- Computer skills for emailing and research
- Possible involvement in our expanding lamb operation to assist with feeding, birthing, etc.
- Spanish a plus
- Machine repair, electrical know how & tractor skills another plus
- 2 bedroom cottage with utilities on the farm — an ideal situation for a couple or small family.
- Full Health insurance and dental coverage
- Salary commensurate with experience
- 1 week paid vacation after 6 months
- Professional development opportunities, including training in nutrient dense crop production (see RealFoodCampaign.org)
To apply, please submit cover letter and resumé to Pauline Lord by 2/12/11 at email@example.com.