WEI is looking for farm interns for the 2011 Farm Season. We would prefer to work with students doing an internship for academic credit at an educational institution but we are also willing to establish an internship opportunity under WEI’s Earth Justice and Sustainability Education Program and Regional Outreach Training Center Project.
This year WEI will be able to support up to 8 interns for on-residency farm education and training in organic farming. The internship includes a season-specific curriculum, hands-on skill building, educational classes when Organic Farm School is in session, experience working as a member of the farm crew and at farmer’s markets, and a research project of you own design. Includes 24 hours of direct-paid farm work per week in addition to the educational component of the program. On-site residency at WEI available: Monday evening through Friday afternoon for May and Summer internships. Internship available in 2011: Spring Term (Apr 26 -June 3 – two openings); Early Summer (June 7 – July 15 -two interns); Late Summer (July 19-August 26 -two interns); Autumn Orchard Internships (Sept 9 – October 16 – two interns; Fri-Sun. local residents only). During the growing season, farm interns may stay on the farm and receive a weekly food basket from the farm to help cover meal costs. Review of applications starts January 15. Positions will be held open until filled.
* Interest in Sustainable Organic Agriculture.
* Availability to work daily on the Farm in Almelund, MN Tuesday-Friday.
* Strong desire to become an organic farmer and/or community gardener and/or organic agriculture educator.
* Prefer previous farm work experience or background in farming.
* Prefer students with studies and/or interests relevant to farming, environmental, ag and food justice.
* Early morning starter; good physical condition. Farming is hard work.
* All interns must have a positive attitude, an ability to receive constructive criticism, and a strong work ethic.
* An emphasis on hands-on physical labor and practice is very important.
* Ability to work as a member of team with flexibility in work assignments as needed; and
* Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, staff and management.
If you have other internship ideas that you think might further WEI’s environmental justice mission, please contact us at the website or call 651-583-0705.