The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC), a national non-profit conservation organization located in Pittsboro, NC, is looking for an enthusiastic, motivated, and knowledgeable individual to join its team as Research and Technical Program Director. The Director is responsible for ensuring the scientific integrity of ALBC’s research and technical program activities and the effective implementation of ALBC’s research and conservation programs. The Director is responsible for working with governmental, academic communities, and non-governmental organizations’ technical program staff to build strategic scientific and technical capacity in the areas of genetic diversity and breed conservation. A strong team ethic is required to effectively collaborate with colleagues and external partners to develop innovative, adaptable, and scientifically credible methods, analyses, and decision-making tools and frameworks for identifying and ranking conservation targets, identifying key threats to viability and functionality, and developing threat abatement strategies. The Director researches, plans, develops, directs, and implements breed research and conservation programs and serves as a fundraiser and spokesperson for ALBC with public and private conservation partners, scientific organizations, major donors, the Board of Directors, federal and state agricultural agency representatives, the academic community, and the general public. The Research and Technical Program Director will work in the Pittsboro office, supervise other ALBC staff and non-staff collaborators involved in research and technical programs, and is supervised by the Executive Director. The Director will work with and provide staff support for the Conservation Committee of the Board of Directors. Experience working with and knowledge of livestock and poultry husbandry and breeding required along with excellent management, writing, research, and communication skills. Grant writing ability, computer proficiency, and ability to travel is a must.
- Research, plan, develop, direct, and implement breed research and conservation programs and activities based on identified organizational priorities
- Supervise ALBC staff and non-staff collaborators involved with research and technical programs
- Write program grants, technical reports, articles, and other publications in support of ALBC’s conservation efforts
- Provide technical support for the development and implementation of ALBC’s programs and annual meetings
- Research breeds in various areas of study such as DNA analysis, population dynamics, and husbandry systems
- Network with the ALBC Technical Advisory Council, Board Conservation Committee, breeders, breed associations, conservation organizations, and other groups
- Present substantive material at workshops and conferences locally and nationally
- Provide phone and email support for technical questions regarding livestock, poultry, and breed conservation
- Commitment to the mission and values of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
- Advanced degree preferred; five or more years of hands-on experience with livestock and/or poultry husbandry required
- Strong grant writing skills and the ability to fundraise
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, and manage performance of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web browsing, and email skills required
- Strong command of the English language; proficiency in writing and public speaking
- Good project management and organizational skills
- Good library research skills
- Critical thinking, creative problem solving, and diplomacy skills required
- Ability to work in the field and in the office both independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with population management strategies and software a plus
- Familiarity with sustainable farming systems preferred
- The ability to travel frequently and on short notice
Competitive salary based on experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
PO Box 477
Pittsboro, NC 27312
No phone calls, please.
For additional questions about the position, email firstname.lastname@example.org