Red Tomato’s mission is connecting farmers and consumers through marketing, trade, and education, and through a passionate belief that a family-farm, locally-based, ecological, fair trade food system is the way to a better tomato.
The food system that dominates global agriculture today is based on an industrial model that takes a heavy toll on the resources of the earth, on farmers and workers, on local economies, and on the nutrition and health of all. Our work at Red Tomato is part of a movement to build a better, more sustainable way of producing and using food. A sustainable food system nourishes the land, the farmers, and local communities, and as a result, nourishes eaters with fresh food.
Our work connects the innovation, practicality and (sometimes the sheer adrenaline) of business, with the deliberation and creativity of non-profit social change. We connect local, family farm production with fair pricing and supermarket availability; fresh, in-season, perfectly-ripe produce with high standards of ecological stewardship; beautiful packaging with sustainable materials; risk-taking with fair trade for farmers; science-based research with deep respect for traditional agriculture.
Status: Full Time 40 hrs/wk(Seasonal April 1 – Oct 31)
Purpose: The Trade Apprentice will report directly to the Trade Team Leader and at time will do projects for the Operations Manager. They will assist in all aspects of trade. These include order taking, customer service, light bookkeeping, data entry, minor account t management, minor product management
Duties and Responsibilities:
- · Taking daily orders for accounts and products to be determined by Trade Team Leader
- · Processing paperwork for orders taken
- · Communicate to Operations Manager and Account Managers about daily orders
- · Communicate any customer feedback or requests to Account Managers
- · Communicating with growers to fulfill Customer orders
- · Provide customer support- answering questions, addressing concerns, making sure customer is getting what they want, troubleshooting on a day-to-day operational basis, needs of their customers
- · Perform other administrative duties as requested
- · Attend and participate in Regularly scheduled meetings
Desired Qualifications: Skills, Attributes and Experience:
- Fast learner
- Commitment to RT’s mission of strengthening the viability of family farms and values that include fair trade and sustainable agriculture practices.
- Highly detailed oriented and skilled
- Excellent telephone skills and customer service experience
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to remain unruffled in a fast-paced environment and while working under pressure
- A sense of humor and the ability to work well with others
- Computer/tech savvy
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Quick Books
- Farming, agricultural, and/or food experience
- Experience with produce a plus, but not a requirement