About FRESHFARM Markets
FRESHFARM Markets is a 501c3 non-profit organization that operates producer-only farmers markets in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia. Our mission is to build and strengthen the local food movement in the Chesapeake Bay watershed by providing economic opportunities for farmers and educating the public about food and farming issues. At our weekly farmers markets we offer educational programs such as “Chef at Market,” and we donate fresh food through our “Market Gleaning” program to our charitable organization partners. We also have a local foods school program, “FoodPrints,” in Washington, DC and an annual Farmland Feast event in November. For more information, visit our website at www.freshfarmmarkets.org
FRESHFARM Markets is seeking a creative individual to work as a part-time writer and editor to help write, design and edit content for our weekly ENews and website. This position is for approximately 15 hours of work/ week.
- Write the primary content for the FRESHFARM Markets weekly ENews and blog.
o The ENews will consist of four to five sections, including What’s New at Market, Special Events and one to two 150-200 word articles.
o Blog entries will be short and newsy, focusing on special events, farmers, seasonal foods or markets and use photographs.
- Interact regularly with FRESHFARM Markets staff for most up-to-date information for ENews and blog.
- Compile, edit and format the weekly ENews using Constant Contact.
- Select and edit blog and ENews submissions from FRESHFARM Markets staff, customers and/or farmers.
- Use FRESHFARM Markets’ extensive photo library to select photos to enhance ENews and blog entries. Editor is welcome to use his/her own photos when appropriate.
- Develop a FRESHFARM Markets style guideline over the course of the first year of employment, using the Associated Press Stylebook as a blueprint. This guideline will be made available to the FFM staff and be used in the creation of other printed materials.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Interest in and knowledge of local agriculture and food issues
- Deadline oriented: ability to submit work on weekly basis
- Ability to work with others and incorporate their feedback and ideas
- Ability to write within a specified word count
- Experience using Constant Contact or similar email marketing program strongly preferred
- Ideal candidate will be creative with artistic/design experience
Compensation is $10,000 annually.
Email a cover letter, resume, two references and two of your best clips to: email@example.com by February 21, 2011. NO phone calls, please.