The Produce Manager is responsible for the overall planning, organization, implementation, and management of the aggregation of fresh produce among farmers in Schoharie and surrounding counties for distribution to Corbin Hill Rd Farm (CHRF) Farm Share holders. The position is fulltime and reports to the Managing Director /Founder Dennis Derryck.
Budgeting / Financial Management
- Develop an annual produce acquisition budget linked to the CHRF management plan
- Negotiate prices that meet and/or exceed budget
- Maintain spending within the approved budget.
- Monitor ongoing produce aggregation progress against annual budget and provide monthly progress reports of revenues and expenses.
- Work with General Manager and accountant to assure that all labor regulations and payroll requirements are met.
Planning / Development
- Participate in the overall short-term and long-term planning and development of CHRF and respective acquisition, aggregation and distribution operations.
- Work with key CHRF staff, strategic partners (farmers and advisors) to development a Harvest Plan. (HP)
- Develop and manage monitoring system for the short and long-term goals of the HP
- Develop and implement strategies responsive to shortfalls in HP
- Ensure timely delivery deadlines for Farm Share and Wholesale markets
- Ensure that all management of workers, activities, and practices comply with federal, state, and local government regulations.
Farm Facilities / Equipment Management
- Provide day-to-day management of all farm facilities and equipment, including maintenance, repair, and replacement schedules at the level required to accomplish CHRF goals.
- Procure necessary equipment, tools, and supplies for distribution operations within approved budget.
- Oversee independent contractors in the repair and maintenance of overall farm infrastructure and in the construction of new grounds and facilities.
Staffing / Supervision
- Recruit, hire, orient, train, motivate, supervise, and evaluate paid and volunteer workers as part of intern and apprenticeship program
- Apply and maintain all health and safety standards required by law and the farm safety plan.
Recordkeeping / Reporting / Communications
- Monitor and document all produce purchased.
- Ensure all delivery scheduling is kept current, consistent, and in compliance with CHRF ‘s goals.
- Serve as principal farm representative; interact with farmers, general public, government officials, subscribers, media, and project director and investors.
- Post-secondary degree
- Track record of delivering real results Strong leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with diverse groups and establish collaborations and partnerships with supplier communities
- Detail-oriented, able to manage complex supply chain
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, hiring, motivating and supervising employees.
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Effective written, verbal, and electronic communication skills
- Competence in MS Office. Strong Microsoft Excel Skills a requirement
- Valid NYS State driver’s license or equivalent.
- Creativity, energy, self-motivated, positive enthusiasm and ability to work independently as well as manage a team.
- Ability to multi-task
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume along with a letter outlining your skills and experience that meet the qualifications of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the submission deadline of March 31, 2011.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Compensation will be competitive and will include salary, benefits, and a potential for housing.