Reports to: Garden Program Manager
The Academic Year and/or Summer Garden Corps Intern’s role is to support the Community Design Center of Minnesota (CDC) and the Garden Corps Program Manager in the operation of the Garden Corps Youth Internship Program and in maintenance of the seven CDC urban organic gardens. This involves working independently and/or with the Garden Corps Program Manager and/or CDC youth interns in garden work (planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, tear down); help with Farmers market stands and CSA shares; and possibly assist with teaching after school and outreach classes.
Specific Duties: (duties are performed in collaboration/consultation with the Garden Corps Manager and are subject to change depending on the time of year)
• Create succession planting chart with produce volume calculations
• Assist with garden installations (Spring)
- Identify threats to the garden (insects, vandalism) and research solutions
- Identify plant needs (water, stakes, etc.)
- Assist with end of season garden break down and cover-cropping (Fall)
- Update Garden Program Manager on garden needs and aesthetic concerns.
Garden Corps Program
- Work with staff and interns to plant, water, weed, harvest, and break down gardens
- Assist with the set up, sales, and take down of the farmers market stands
- Help with the set-up, distribution, and take down of CSA weekly shares or Fall harvest box
- Help teach informal and formal lessons in sustainable agriculture to the interns and possibly other youth programs (share what you know or are learning as you work)
- Identify/plan activities for youth interns involving art, exercise, or reflection
Youth Intern Assistance
- Mentor / build relationships with the Garden Corps interns
- Ensure safety of interns at all work sites
- Enforce behavior expectations and consequences
- Report misbehavior of interns or risk management events to the Garden Corps Program Manager
Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to maintaining regular communication with Garden Corps Manager, attending staff meetings as requested and keeping timely and accurate records of personal time and expenses and intern time.
Minimum requirements: Must hold a current drivers license.
Must be able to lift at least 30 lbs on a regular basis.
Must be available on some evenings and weekends.
To Apply: Email the Garden Program Manager at email@example.com