Organization Summary: Sparc is a non-profit community development corporation that creates healthy, affordable, and sustainable neighborhoods by improving residential and commercial vitality in Saint Paul.
Location: Sparc, 843 Rice Street, Saint Paul; some work may be completed remotely
Compensation: Volunteer with a $500 stipend
Time commitment: We offer a flexible schedule with primarily weekday hours. We prefer a minimum commitment of at least 8 hours per week for at least two months.
Deadline: February 14, 2011
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist Sparc’s Business Development Program Manager in launching a three-acre urban agriculture project. The site will be a pilot project hosting three production businesses. The project aims to supply healthy produce to an urban neighborhood as well as facilitate successful agricultural enterprises.
Duties may include:
- Coordinate and maintain communications with project partners
- Help design site layout of three-acre site owned by Sparc
- Prepare site, including coordination of tree removal and soil testing
- Research market opportunities for produce grown on the site, including neighborhood residents, schools, stores, and/or restaurants
- Identify funding sources and help draft grant proposals
- Attend related meetings and conferences
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- Preference will be given to candidates with:
- Garden or landscape planning experience
- Marketing or business experience
- Experience in launching successful projects
- Demonstrated interest in community development, leadership, and/or engagement
- Hmong or Karen language skills
- Familiarity with the North End neighborhood
- Self-directed, reliable, and comfortable with the public
How to Apply: Please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected, you will be asked to come in for an interview and will be notified shortly after about the position.