Location: Mississippi Delta region (flexible within that region)
Mission: Delta Fresh Foods Initiative is a network of individuals and organizations from across the Delta region committed to building a comprehensive, sustainable, community-driven food system that strengthens the local food economy and promotes healthy lifestyles in the Mississippi Delta.
Position Details: The position is a one-year Independent Contractor with Delta Fresh Foods Initiative
Compensation: $20,000 for 1,040 hours
Benefits: mileage reimbursement provided at approved IRS rate; no other benefits provided.
Oversight: Project Coordinator will report to the chairperson of the Delta Fresh Foods Initiative Executive Committee.
Contract dates: Anticipated start date is April 1, 2011. Position is for one year, with possible extension contingent on mutual agreement and funding.
- Support and advance the mission of the Delta Fresh Foods Initiative (DFFI), which is to promote health, education and economic development for all members of the community through sustainable community food systems (including production, processing and distribution) throughout our eighteen county service area.
2. Coordinate DFFI projects assigned to the coordinator by the Steering Committee. This will include developing and executing monthly work plans as well as writing and presenting monthly progress reports to the Steering Committee.
3. Maintain effective communication with DFFI stakeholders, project partners, and funders in order to facilitate projects as well as work to promote DFFI’s mission. This will include drafting press releases, publishing newsletters and updating the website.
4. Assist the Steering Committee with building and fostering new relationships with state and national organizations.
5. Assist the Steering Committee with raising funds for DFFI. This will include assistance with writing grant proposals to private foundations and government entities.
6. Maintain database DFFI members and partners as well as the financial records for DFFI projects. Prepare monthly financial reports for DFFI Steering Committee meetings.
7. Work to develop evaluation plans with committee members or outside evaluation team. Further assist with collecting, analyzing and interpreting data necessary for evaluation.
1. Three years experience working with either community organizations or with growers and farmers markets in the Mississippi Delta.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
3. Availability for flexible, appropriate work schedule to accommodate monthly meetings of the DFFI Steering Committee as well as DFFI events, trainings and events. Coordinator also will have to be able to meet with stakeholders and partners as required.
4. Access to work space, transportation and computer equipment.
5. Working knowledge of Microsoft applications.
Application – Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to Deborah Moore email@example.com. Application deadline is March 15, 2011.