Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking an energetic, responsible team player to fill our Community Program Internship. The position runs from approximately September 2011 through August 2012.
The Community Programs Intern works directly under the supervision of the Community Programs Manager September-May as a member of a three person team, which includes the Community Programs Weekend Coordinator. Starting in June, the Community Programs Intern will work as a part of our summer counseling staff and will have an opportunity to apply to be a summer camp Program Head or summer camp Auxiliary Staff; we offer camp programs for youth ages 6-17.
Working Hours: Thursday to Monday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM minimum with some evening and extended hours required. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are off.
- Environmental Education: Lead and/or coordinate on-site programs for adults and families, such as weekend farm tours, hands-on classes with our produce and farm animals, wilderness hikes, and social justice discussions/presentations.
- Events: Play a critical role in the preparation, execution, and follow up for events ranging from 80 – 1000 attendees.
- Public Relations: PR mailings, monthly calendar listings, update PR contacts, maintain press clippings file, post flyers
- Program Administration Support: Prepare weekend notes, support gatekeeper function, answer phones/follow-up calls, maintain contact data base, take registrations and payment, mail confirmations, prepare bank deposits, maintain kiosk
- Special Projects: Develop new curriculum or new systems for use by the Community Programs Department.
- Intern living and enrichment: Participate in communal living responsibilities with 10 interns. Attend weekly educational enrichment classes provided for the interns.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES- SUMMER CAMP
- Work with camp staff to determine your specific summer camp position.
- Design and implement a summer camp project/curriculum
- Live cooperatively as apart of a 60 person camp staff community.
- Specific responsibilities will depend on position.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age. Ability to lift 40 lbs. required.
Experience working with the public in environmental education, summer camp or community based services. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Candidate must be a self starter with the ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision on occasion and be able to work with diverse groups of children and adults, including volunteers. Applicable qualifications include interest in farms and gardens, natural history and ecology, classroom teaching, wilderness experiences, cooking, music, computers.
TERMS OF INTERNSHIP
This position is a full-time, year-long, residential, exempt position. A stipend of $525/month is provided. Benefits include: housing, seasonal produce, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation, and sick leave. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided however an additional stipend of $100/month is included to offset any medical expenses interns may incur. Obtaining coverage is the responsibility of the intern. During summer camp from June through August, many staff camp outdoors; only a few positions involve shared housing. Meals are provided while camp is in session. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
The CP Intern receives 12 days of paid vacation per year in addition to any Hidden Villa holidays which fall on Thursday – Monday. Vacations requests are subject to manager approval.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail your cover letter, a copy of your current resume and completed internship application by March 31, 2010 to: Samantha Langevin, c/o Hidden Villa, 26870 Moody Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022 or via e-mail to email@example.com (electronic copies must be Windows compatible). Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650)793-7565.
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, creed, ancestry, disability, or veteran status.