Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. We are seeking energetic, responsible team players to fill our Environmental Education (HVEEP) Internships. Positions run from the Labor Day weekend in September until the end of camp in August.
HVEEP interns work directly under the supervision of the HVEEP Director from September-May as a part of the program staff. Starting in June, Environmental Education Interns will work as a part of our summer counseling staff and will have an opportunity to apply to be a summer camp Program Head or summer camp Auxiliary Staff; we offer camp programs for youth ages 6-17.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday (8-5 minimum) plus some evenings and weekend programs from September – May with extended hours in the summer.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES- HVEEP
- Lead groups of elementary age children (primarily Preschool-4th Grade) through one day on-site programs, including: 1.5 hour farm tours, 5.5 hour farm and wilderness explorations, afternoon chores, and evening programs.
- Use the organic children’s garden, wilderness and farm animals to engage children in hands-on experiential activities that promote environmental awareness and humanitarian values.
- Prepare students for their one-day fieldtrip by helping lead off-site classroom presentations.
- Assist with all aspects of HVEEP Volunteer Program including: recruitment, training, and appreciation of volunteers.
- Carry out daily afternoon chores in a rotation including: garden and/or horticulture chores, animal chores, chores with kids.
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings, scheduled on-site workshops and field trips.
- Work with HVEEP teachers to plan, develop, and/or implement programs as necessary.
- Participate in communal living responsibilities with 10 interns
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES- SUMMER CAMP
- Work with camp staff to determine your specific summer camp position.
- Design and implement a summer camp project/curriculum
- Live cooperatively as apart of a 60 person camp staff community.
- Specific responsibilities will depend on position.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record (no major infractions) strongly preferred.
Experience in environmental education, summer camp or related fields. Excellent communication skills and the ability to accept supervision and guidance. Experience, skills or abilities with any of the following: farms and gardens, natural history and ecology, working with diverse populations, classroom teaching, volunteers, wilderness experiences, music, computers or non-English languages. Love of children and the outdoors, team player, flexible, organized, sense of humor!
TERMS OF INTERNSHIP
This position is a full-time, year-long, residential, exempt position. A stipend of $525/month is provided. Benefits include: housing, seasonal produce, meat & dairy products from the farm when available, holiday time, vacation, and sick leave. No medical, dental or vision benefits are provided however an additional stipend of $100/month is included to offset any medical expenses interns may incur. Obtaining coverage is the responsibility of the intern. During summer camp from June through August, many staff camp outdoors; only a few positions involve shared housing. Meals are provided while camp is in session. Hidden Villa is a non-smoking environment.
HVEEP Interns are on break in the winter from Dec.12 – Jan. 3 in addition to regular Hidden Villa holidays from September – May. Other days off must be approved by HVEEP Director and need to be taken before the start of summer camp training. Everyone must be available for training on Saturday September 10, 2011.
HOW TO APPLY
Please mail your cover letter, a copy of your current resume and completed internship application by March 23, 2010 to: Samantha Langevin, c/o Hidden Villa, 26870 Moody Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022 or via e-mail to email@example.com (electronic copies must be Windows compatible). Telephone inquiries can be directed to (650)793-7565. For more information, please visit www.hiddenvilla.org/internships.php.
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, creed, ancestry, disability, or veteran status.