Application review begins immediately and closes on March 18, 2011
Growing Power, Inc. is a nonprofit organization located in the City of Milwaukee, that supports the development and sustainability of community-based food systems, i.e., farmers markets, community gardens, school-based gardening, and agricultural projects. It offers hands-on training and technical assistance in sustainable agricultural techniques that can be implemented in urban or rural settings.
Growing Power is creating a new position for a Nutrition Educator to provide education to children and adults enrolled in Growing Power’s various education and training programs. The Nutrition Educator will be responsible for researching and compiling nutritional data related to a wide range of food products and menus; for developing and assessing curriculum materials and hands-on learning experiences; for providing direct nutrition education programming and curriculum to clients (students, teachers, parents) on-site at Growing Power facilities and program sites and in school nutritional education learning centers, classrooms, kitchens and cafeterias; and for conducting ongoing assessment and evaluation of the nutritional education programming.
Applicants must have a minimum 4-year degree in nutrition education, nutritional sciences/dietetics, or a closely related field, and be a registered dietician (RD), RD-eligible, or be dietetic technician registered (DTR). Successful candidates will also have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Experience working with children will be helpful. Additional qualifications include:
- Good attitude and positive outlook in work environment
- Full-time schedule requires ability to work outside of the regular 40 hour schedule in the event of meeting application deadline or other pressing organizational needs
- Full participation in Growing Power’s monthly “From the Ground Up” weekend workshops (January – June) in addition to the regular work-week load
- Sense of humor and the capacity to manage stress in healthy ways.
- Experience working with diverse people
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and an interest in food security and local sustainable development
Send or deliver a cover letter and resume by March 18, 2011, to the attention of Nutrition Education, Growing Power, 5500 W. Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee, WI, 53218, or by e-mail to email@example.com
Growing Power is an equal opportunity employer.