The Terrace Cafe at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden is looking for a trained culinary professional to help as we make the transition toward a sustainable, locally sourced and seasonal menu. New hire will be responsible for the daily operations of the cafe kitchen, and provide professional leadership and direction to kitchen personnel. Ensuring that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet Chef’s specifications and commitment to quality is crucial. Help us create and execute a beautiful and contemporary menu.
1. Works with Chef to conceive daily menu and prepare subsequent daily production list.
2. Ensures that all stations remain stocked and sanitary before and during service.
3. Verifies that kitchen staff follows recipes and portions servings correctly.
4. Ensure that kitchen, dish, service and storage areas are kept clean and organized.
5. Receives product, verifying invoice and freshness of merchandise.
6. Trains employees to standards.
7. Sets excellent customer service and work examples.
8. Actively participates as a member of the management team.
9. Works with General Manager so to maintain kitchen food cost to budgetary requirements, make food and supply orders with efficiency. and control staffing levels throughout shift.
10. Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Chef at any time.
Qualifications and Knowledge
1. College or culinary training or extensive cooking and large scale production experience necessary.
2. Commitment to quality food, beverage and service.
3. Knowledge of basic training techniques, keeping a balanced budget and local state and federal health and sanitation laws.
4. A minimum of 5 years working in a food preparation position.
5. NYC DOH Food Handlers License preferred
1. Professional communication skills, oral and written.
2. Actively supervises and motivates employees.
3. Assists with hiring and training of all new employees.
4. Ability to work in a high-energy and demanding environment.
5. Works well under pressure.
6. Can effectively solve problems.
7. Able to take direction.
8. A minimum of two years working in management.
1. 90% of time standing and 10% of time sitting.
2. Direct contact with guests, managers and employees.
3. Behaves professionally and can be flexible in a fast and changing environment.
4. Must be able to carry loads greater than 35 pounds, and be able to transport up to 70 pounds regularly.
Health Benefits after completion of one successful season