JVUF seeks an energetic and enthusiastic Executive Director to provide leadership and inspiration for its next phase of growth and expansion. The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors and has the overall responsibility for the management and operations of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an annual fundraising plan, working with staff and Board.
- Coordinate planning and implementation of events with staff, volunteer event coordinators, Board members, and Junior Board members.
- Research and apply for grant funding and develop, maintain relations with, and properly acknowledge private donors.
- Develop annual budget, including its education-program budget, farm production budget, and resources necessary to implement work plans.
- Work with the Board Treasurer to present monthly financial statements to Board.
- Manage a bookkeeper responsible for JVUF’s financial records, including a bi-weekly payroll, receipts for all income and expenses, and the organization’s year-end 990.
- Board of Directors
- Meet monthly with the Board of Directors’ Executive Committee.
- Develop agendas for bi-monthly Board meetings.
- Produce an annual report to the Board that reflects progress towards the implementation of our strategic plan.
- Collaborate with the Board’s PR committee to develop an annual communications plan (outreach activities, website updates and maintenance, bi-annual newsletters, monthly e-newsletters, etc.) and oversee Program and Farm staffs’ implementation.
- Develop relationships with and promote JVUF to local and national media partners.
- Develop and maintain farm-site aesthetics, including signage.
- Staff Management
- Meet with all staff on a regular basis to ensure work plans are properly implemented and resources are available for them to succeed.
- Implement annual evaluation of all staff, providing constructive criticism in verbal and written format.
- Ensure adequate compensation for all employees, and interview and hire new staff as necessary.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings and ensure that farm-sites are properly managed.
- Ensure that each staff member has adequate resources to complete his or her job, and is compliant with JVUF’s policies.
- Create a safety plan for all sites that includes vehicle usage, staff background checks, and program reviews, and ensure proper liability and property insurance coverage.
- Education Program Management
- Collaborate with the Program Director to create an annual work plan.
- Meet with Program staff bi-weekly to ensure proper implementation of the work plan.
- Develop and sustain relationships with community partners leveraging communications collateral and monthly press releases.
- Farm Production
- Collaborate with Farm Managers to develop and implement annual work plans for each farm.
- Meet with farm staff bi-weekly to ensure the work plans are implemented properly.
- Oversee each farm’s production, sales, expansion activities, and quality control.
- Community Gardens
- Facilitate activities between the Community Garden Coordinator and JVUF’s partners.
- Provide feedback and support to coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related degree. Experience in Sustainable Agriculture or Agroecology prefered.
- 3 to 5 years of experience managing a nonprofit organization.
- Successful track record in fundraising and grant writing.
- Ability to train and manage staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven capacity to facilitate collaboration among diverse community groups.
- Salary negotiable based upon qualifications and experience.
- Health insurance and/or a monthly stipend.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Negotiable paid vacation.
Deadline for application, March 18, 2011. Optimum start date, May 1, 2011
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Jones Valley Urban Farm Executive Search
Post Office Box 292305
Birmingham, AL 35229
Resume and cover letter may also be submitted online via Microsoft Word document or PDF as one file to email@example.com.