Cornell Cooperative Extension of Madison County, in conjunction with the Northeast Hop Alliance, is hiring a Community Educator – NYS Hops Specialist.
The CCE Educator will work with growers throughout New York State to re-establish commercial specialty hop production.
The CCE educator will:
• Provide growers with the knowledge and resources to produce high quality hop crops;
• Plan, market, promote, and lead Hops courses for interested growers;
• Be available during the growing season to field hop related phone calls and make personal visits to farms that request it;
• Establish resources within the state that have the ability to test and analyze the alpha and beta chemicals in the hop cones;
• Form strategic alliances with people interested in all aspects of hops production throughout NYS and the Northeast
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree; At least 1 year of experience working with farmers doing field work, extension education and/or outreach; Interest in/familiarity with hops and/or brewing; effective written and verbal communication skills; organizational and time-management skills
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or horticulture related transcript; experience with, or knowledge of hops; coursework in soils, plant physiology, entomology, agricultural economics, education and communication.
The position is flexible and can be part time or full-time. There is funding available for one and a half to two years through a NYS Specialty Crops Grant. The position may include a full New York State benefits package – health/dental insurance, retirement, and vacation. The position may require some night and weekend work.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: contact@MadisonCountyAgriculture.com
Applications will be accepted until noon on 3/21/2011.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an equal opportunity employer.