JOB DESCRIPTION: Assist with DVRPC’s Food System Planning. Intern will be primarily responsible for event planning; completing special case studies on various food system topics, like municipal composting programs, and federal and state agricultural polices; collecting data; and analyzing environmental and economic data sources to track indicators for a sustainable food system. Intern may also be responsible for policy research, stakeholder interviews, quantitative analysis, report writing and public speaking, depending on project needs and candidate’s interests and abilities. For more information regarding the food system planning, please see:http://www.dvrpc.org/food.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The student intern will assist professional staff with field research, data collection, data analysis, report preparation, and event planning. Intern will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary project team and will participate and assist in meetings with stakeholders, study advisory committee, and other government agencies.
- Interest in local food issues, agriculture, land use and/or regional planning issues is required.
- Ability to perform in-depth field research independently is necessary.
- Ability to read, interpret and relate geographic data and statistical data is necessary.
- Ability to establish effective relationships with associates and representatives of public and private organizations is necessary.
- Excellent writing skills and initiative are essential.
- Proficiency in MSOffice XP Software Suite is required.
AVAILABILITY: This position requires a commitment of 37.5 hours per week during summer 2011, with a possible opportunity to continue part-time during the academic year. This position also requires attendance at some events outside of regular business hours on a limited basis.
COMPENSATION: Students with Work Study grants preferred.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & TRAINING: Must have completed at least THREE YEARS of a college/university program or be enrolled in a master’s program (preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
TO APPLY: Forward a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DVRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Full consideration will be given to all eligible, qualified applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, disability, or marital status. Minority and disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.