The Battery Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to revitalizing the 25 acres of public parkland located at the tip of Manhattan. The Battery is at the forefront of sustainable urban park planning, organic horticulture, and intermodal transportation. When the idea emerged to develop an urban farm in partnership with neighboring schools, The Battery Conservancy enthusiastically embraced the opportunity.
The Urban Farming at the Battery Initiative embodies the mission of the Battery Conservancy, as we engage elementary, middle, and high school students in a hands-on experience of organic farming. By interesting them in fresh produce, this project is both educational and healthful. And in the early 17th century, the Battery, as the home of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam, was home to New York’s first farms. This project brings that history to life.
The Conservancy’s horticulturists and staff are partnering with neighborhood schools, including Millennium High School, Claremont School and PS 3, various community groups and local restaurateurs who primarily feature farm-to-table menus.
We are looking for Urban Farming Interns to manage and assist in running this initiative.
– Participate in all aspects of vegetable production: planning, planting, managing, harvesting, distributing crops, weed control, irrigation
– Assist with the Battery’s day to day horticultural projects
– Coordinate and supervise school groups involved in the Urban Farm at the Battery
– Organize and oversee schedule of when school groups will be at the Battery
– Supervise school visits and assist and educate school groups during farming visits
– Keep daily records of Urban Farm at the Battery project
– Organize and oversee farm volunteers
– Contribute to blog on urban farm progress
– Experience growing vegetables and general gardening required
– Able to handle physically strenuous, repetitious tasks and carry 40 pounds
– Manage work hours effectively with minimal supervision
– Course work in introductory biology/ecology or related field
– Experience teaching and working with children (youth – high school aged)
– Strong communication and organizational skills
– MSWord, Excel, office experience helpful
Please include in cover letter availability, as we are looking for full and part time commitments, starting immediately. This position is unpaid.
Please call Camilla Hammer, Urban Farm at the Battery 212-344-3491 x22, or through email email@example.com