Tricycle Gardens is a grassroots organization dedicated to helping people grow healthy food in their own communities. Over eight years we’ve built community gardens, learning gardens, an urban farm and an edible forest while educating people through workshops, workdays, lectures and intensive internships. Through our activities and installations, hundreds of citizens of all ages and backgrounds have learned how to grow food and care for the environment.
Our work in urban agriculture improves people’s quality of life by providing a platform for community development, social interaction, neighborhood beautification, production of nutritious food, environmental restoration and the creation of recreation and education opportunities.
Tricycle Gardens is working to expand urban agriculture throughout central Virginia, with new projects and partnerships and the continual development of educational programs.
Our office and area of operation is in Richmond, Va. For a detailed job description and information on how to apply, please continue reading.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors for the management and operations of the organization. The Executive Director also serves as a key ambassador to the community for Tricycle Gardens.
- Leads implementation of the strategic goals of Tricycle Gardens
- Collaborates with the chair of the board to fulfill its governance function
- Provides staff leadership and direction in achieving Tricycle Gardens’ mission and annual objectives
- Directs fundraising and manages finances
- Oversees program development and management
- Represents Tricycle Gardens publicly and coordinates with community partners
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Possess a passion and knowledge about urban agriculture, nutrition, greening, and community building.
- Enthusiasm and experience with non-profit management.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- At least 5 years of experience in the following areas:
- Experience with general small organization management, including marketing/public relations, event management, program development and implementation, and financial management.
- Experience working with voluntary boards.
- Experience coordinating project development and implementation, involving multiple partners and/or participants
- Strong fundraising record, including experience with grant writing, membership development, individual donor programs, corporate sponsorship and special events.
- Flexibility and ability to handle several projects simultaneously
- Willing and able to deal easily with a variety of people in social and professional situations
- Experience with diverse communities, including age, religion, cultural and ethnicity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in writing and orally
- Successful record of working within a team environment as well as independent thinking and self-motivated
- Effective time management to ensure timely implementation of programs and operational goals
- Excellent public speaking ability
- Ability to manage the finances with the Treasurer of Tricycle Gardens
- Ability to manage staff and volunteers
- Ability to organize workshops, workdays and new partnerships
- Ability to work with a diverse board
Please email a cover letter, resume, any portfolio materials and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is April 15.