We seek a part time (3 days/week) Assistant Manager to focus on tractor work and field crew training.
Wellspring Farm is a 140 member community supported farm (CSA) growing 5 acres of high quality certified organic veggies, flowers and cover crops on a beautiful 200-acre land cooperative since 2003. The farm is partially mechanized, relying on one utility (Kubota M4800) and one cultivator tractor (Allis Chalmers G), a dozen or so tractor-mounted implements, and a solid set irrigation system. The farm has one heated seedling greenhouse and a 30’x60’ hoophouse for grafted tomatoes. Planting and harvesting is done by hand. Sales are primarily CSA and secondarily wholesale. Staff includes Farm Manager, 1-2 full time apprentices, three CSA “member workers” four hours per week, and periodic volunteers.
Tasks include all aspects of vegetable production. However, the Assistant Manager will also focus on:
- Tractor work including equipment hook up, adjustment and use of all implements including disc harrow, bedformer, chisel, tine weeder, flamer, loader & forklift, etc. Also cultivator tractor tool bar set up and use
- Fertility analysis and sidedressing cultivation
- Assist with management of harvest days (Mondays and Thursdays) including primary oversight of washing and packing produce for wholesale orders and CSA pick-up sites; harvest scouting and calculation as necessary
- Mechanical tasks as necessary including irrigation pump and line set up & trouble shooting; greenhouse heater and alarm; carpentry projects, etc.
- Training, overseeing and motivating apprentices, member workers & volunteers in all manner of field work
- Stand in for all Farm Manager responsibilities as necessary
The Assistant Manager does not have any CSA pick-up duties.
Applicants must have familiarity with all farm systems, plant physiology, soil fertility. Minimum 2 years tractor driving and implement use. Proficiency in basic mechanical & carpentry tasks. Managerial or crew leading experience. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Must be able to lift 50 lbs and drive manual transmission.
Remuneration & Schedule
Hourly wage of $10/hour and up depending on experience. Commitment from May through September required at a minimum. Work schedule is typically 3 days/week end April through mid October: Monday, Wednesday (this day is flexible, i.e. Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays) and Thursday, 7am-4pm.
How do I apply?
If you believe Wellspring Farm is a good match for you, please type answers to the following questions and email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If we think you might be a good fit with our farm we will contact you to set up a phone interview. Please note that we also require an on-farm, in-person interview as part of our full application process.
- Please tell us about yourself, your interests, and your long-range plans.
- Previous related work experience including specifics on tractor experience.
- Any special considerations we should know about (e.g. health)
Please include a resume and provide 2 references we can contact regarding your work and management style.