Edens & Avant is seeking a resourceful, passionate, talented and results-driven Market Manager and Events Programmer who brings a proven track record of events programming and planning, and sourcing of seasonal food and food-related vendors to be the creative force behind the Capital City Market outdoor market in the NoMA area of Washington, DC.
The Market Manager and Events Programmer reports directly to the Development Manager and will be based in Edens & Avant’s regional headquarters in Bethesda, MD until the market opens. This role will supervise interns and volunteers. This will be a contract role from time of hire through at least the end of 2011, with the possibility of extending the contract to permanent employment beyond that time.
- Manage the leasing of the outdoor market at Capital City Market including sourcing and qualifying of prospective vendors.
- In partnership with Edens & Avant’s Marketing Team manage the events programming, planning and coordination of special events hosted at the outdoor market to include food festivals, educational programs, cooking demonstrations, community events, and live entertainment.
- Manage the daily operations of the outdoor market at Capital City Market including vendor placement and assignment of vendor’s days and hours of operations.
- Create weekly reports tracking sales, revenues, expenses and profits.
- Present proposed vendors to the Development Team and negotiate leases and terms within specifications provided.
- Create a bi-annual calendar of events and continually source additional events to offer at Capital City Market.
- Maintain Operating Guidelines including enforcement of vendor attendance and vendor conduct policies and documentation of vendors’ compliance with licensing requirements.
- Stay highly informed on regional food trends and marketing and events planning activities of innovative food markets to build the success of Capital City Market.
- Effectively manage interns and volunteers.
- Participate effectively in meetings with the Development Team.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience in leasing and/or food and food-related vendor sourcing.
- Experience in event programming, planning and coordination.
- Strong ability to build relationships with diverse constituents such as vendors and regional food companies, players in the food and culinary arts, community leaders as well as senior management of Edens & Avant.
- Ability to identify new opportunities to quickly translate those into commitments in support of Capital City Market.
- Outstanding interpersonal, presentation and influencing skills.
- Operational management experience and knowledge of licensing and health code requirements.
- Highly organized with superb follow through, outstanding judgment and positive attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with a desire and proven ability to communicate with people at different food and business knowledge levels.
- Ability to travel within the region to source vendors.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
The Market Manager and Events Programmer’s compensation is based on experience and qualifications. Before the end of this nine month assignment a decision will be made whether to transform this role to full-time, permanent status.
Qualified candidates who want to become the operational and driving force behind Capital City Market as a unique food destination, are strongly encouraged to submit their resume and cover letter with salary requirements via the Company’s website at www.edensandavant.com and clicking on the Employment link.
Edens & Avant develops, owns and operates community-oriented shopping places in primary markets throughout the East Coast. For nearly 45 years, Edens & Avant has been shaping communities by consistently delivering innovative, high-profile projects. We are proud of our strong national reputation built through our commitment to enriching the communities that we serve and our focus on building key relationships with neighbors, retailers and project partners.
Edens & Avant is an Equal Opportunity Employer.