The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm is hiring 2 Educational Program Interns for the 2011 growing season, 1 garden intern and 1 culinary intern. These interns will work in collaboration with each other, with the Education Director at Katchkie Farm, and with additional TSC staff as needed.
The internship will take place at Katchkie Farm, a 60-acre organic vegetable farm located in Kinderhook, NY (just 30 minutes south of Albany). At this location TSC has its own children’s garden where our participants plant, weed and harvest the vegetables. In an open-air kitchen they prepare the vegetables they harvest into a healthy meal they share at communal tables.
Description: Each internship is a six-month position and may be renewed for a second season. Reporting to the Education Director at Katchkie Farm, both interns are responsible for assisting with weekly educational programs and administrative tasks, assisting in maintenance of the children’s garden and care for farm animals, staffing the farmers market stand and additional weekend programs, and assisting with other tasks as needed. In turn, the interns receive training in the pedagogy of teaching gardening, cooking, and natural science to children; in basic organic gardening; and in the marketing and sales of organic produce. The interns are trained in part by Katchkie Farm staff skilled in farming techniques applicable to the larger farm as well as the children’s garden. Additional learning opportunities include possible visits to other local farms and readings in relevant topics. At the end of the program, the interns are prepared to continue working in the farm-based education field.
Specific garden intern tasks:
- Planning for, preparing and leading garden activities during education programs
- Maintenance of children’s garden and chicken coop
- Harvesting as well as post-harvest care of fruits, vegetables and flowers as needed
- Compost building and application
- Greenhouse care
- Communicating with kitchen staff to determine their needs
- Prepare annual end-of-season Garden Intern Report for children’s garden
Specific culinary intern:
- Assist in creation of vegetarian and vegan dishes for groups of 30-60 people
- Act as kitchen manager during educational programs
- Lead children in cooking and nutrition activities
- Purchase rotating stock
- Track and maintain appropriate inventory
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness and organization of refrigerator and prep kitchen
- Collect and organize child appropriate recipes to develop resource cookbook
Objective: This program provides key support for on- and off-farm educational programs that benefit children and teenagers. It also offers opportunities for the development of the interns’ skills thus preparing them for further work in the farm to school field.
- Degree or work experience in education, natural sciences, nutrition, horticulture, outdoor recreation, or related field (preferred)
- For culinary intern, culinary degree
- Strong interest in working with children and food (prior experience a plus)
- Hard-working, motivated, focused, conscientious, responsible
- A strong, cooperative work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects
- Ability to work long hours, lift up to 50 lbs, and to perform physical, outdoor jobs in all weather (hot, cold, humid, rainy)
- Five-day work week May; six-day work week June–mid-October
Compensation: $1,600/month along with some eggs and farm produce
To Apply: Please send via email: cover letter, resume, and names and phone numbers of 3 references to Julie Cerny, Education Director, The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm. Sylviacenter@katchkiefarm.com