JOB TITLE: Program Manager, Membership
DEADLINE: April 1, 2011
START DATE: April 25, 2011
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Network Engagement
Slow Food USA is building a movement to fix food and farming in this country, and seeks to inspire and engage everyday people through grassroots advocacy and local projects. A non-profit organization, Slow Food USA has over 225 volunteer-led chapters across the country, representing more than 24,000 members and reaching a network of 300,000 people. Slow Food USA advocates for food and farming policy that is good for the public, good for farmers and workers, and good for the planet. Slow Food USA has seen explosive growth over the past 18 months, and we anticipate that growth continuing.
Slow Food USA is seeking an experienced, innovative, and visionary Program Manager of Membership. This person will implement robust and ambitious strategies that inspire people to become members, and inspire members to increase and deepen their engagement. The ideal candidate has a track record of growing and cultivating membership in a mid- to large-scale organization. This person would also have a background in programs involving online and in- person organizing or movement-building, as well as financial giving. The Program Manager is a part of a larger staff team that focuses on engaging the Slow Food USA network.
• Grow and cultivate membership through
o Innovative outreach and engagement initiatives
o Robust and impressive membership programming/benefits
o Projects that increase direct contact amidst rapid growth
• Strengthen the national office infrastructure to manage a fast growing membership
• Launch and coordinate initiatives that build community among members
• Systematize and increase online/social media membership-level financial giving projects
• Implement system to welcome new members and inspire renewals
• Generate effective outreach and cultivation resources and tools
• Work with a team to increase online and in-person engagement
• Work collaboratively with other staff to ensure consistent coordination of communication
and activities with the network
• Work with grassroots leaders to develop highly effective membership cultivation practices
• At least 5 years working in the non-profit sector.
• At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a national non-profit organization.
• At least 2 years doing membership recruitment and cultivation, and/or grassroots organizing and movement-building.
• Experience building relationships with a variety of constituents.
• Experience managing web-based fundraising initiatives.
• Experience developing creative partnerships and initiatives that build membership (outside
of direct mail).
• Strong interpersonal communication and relationship-building skills, including demonstrated ability to develop productive relationships with members, leaders, and colleagues across a diverse array of backgrounds and geographies.
• Strong orientation towards challenges as opportunities
• Ability to act independently and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work long hours and weekends when needed.
• Experience in individual donor development (fundraising)
• Experience managing direct mail donor programs, including working with direct mail vendors, directing copywriting and design, setting goals and evaluating success.
• Working in a national organization with local chapters
• Demonstrated personal commitment to the Slow Food mission.
• Experience managing member services and/or customer service programs.
• Ability to use technology, particularly complex databases and CRM systems.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, benefits included.
By April 1 please submit to cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Include in subject line: SFUSA Membership Manager
No phone calls please.
Slow Food USA is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to reflect the diverse community that works toward and cares about a healthy food system. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.