Supervisor: Senior Program Director
Supervises: Program Assistant
Stateline Farm Beginnings Facilitator
Advanced Training Manager
Salary: $30,000-37,000 (FTE) plus benefits- depending on qualifications
Status: Application deadline: April 15, 2011
- Start date: May 15, 2011
This position develops, manages and evaluates the Farmer Training Initiative (FTI) of Angelic Organics Learning Center. The Program Director is responsible for developing and managing the department’s complex budget which includes multiple grant funding sources. This position manages related initiatives with project partners, including Michael Fields Agricultural Institute, Land Connection, University of Illinois-Extension, Land Stewardship Project, WI Center for Integrated Agriculture Systems, and Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection. This position is 80-100% full-time and partially grant funded. This position supervises program staff, independent contractors and an extensive volunteer network.
The primary responsibilities of the Program Director are:
Administrative Responsibilities (70%)
1. Develop and manage departmental budget of $500,000 (30%)
Track and manage grant income and spending, oversee financial grant reporting
2. Write narrative portions of grant proposals and reports (with input from program staff) (10%)
- Manage implementation of the statement of work in the related grants and manage grant reporting in cooperation with the grants coordinator and/or associate director for resource development
3. Develop FTI departmental plan and oversee implementation of plan, scope of work in grants, and Farmer Training portions of the AOLC strategic objective (5%)
4. Supervise FTI staff via monthly and weekly meetings, including advising on Stateline Farm Beginnings developments (15%)
5. Manage relationships with project partners and contractors, participate on a national scale (10%)
- Manage relationships with project partners and subproject contractors to complete the statement of work, including the evaluation of the project with contracted evaluators.
Programmatic Responsibilities (10-30%)
6. Act as coordinating partner for Farm Beginnings Collaborative and advise on replication of CRAFT farmer network (10%)
- Advise new FB programs; develop evaluation materials; attend monthly meetings with other coordinators; facilitate monthly meetings with “buddies”; attend and present at annual meeting)
Items 7 and 8 depend on qualifications, the inclusion of which would constitute 100% FTE position.
7. Implement plan for micro-loan program in region; Research IDA funding strategies (15%)
8. Develop FTI role in land access issue along with project partners (5%)
- Experience managing budgets, ideally in the non-profit sector with grant funding.
- Grant writing experience.
- A minimum of three years experience in farming, farm-based education, or local food systems.
- Successful experience managing and supervising volunteer and staff teams.
- Experience in building coalitions, partnerships, social networks and other multi-stakeholder associations.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Positive team player.
- Reliable self-starter, with excellent ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Highly organized, with excellent attention to detail.
- Windows and internet literacy, and proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- A Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience.
- A commitment to the Learning Center’s work to build local food systems and its partnership with Angelic Organics, a Biodynamic Community Supported Agriculture farm.
- Ability to work from the farm office in Caledonia, IL, and on a regular basis travel to farms, meetings, and events. Periodic evening/weekend meetings and events.
- Marketing and media relations experience.
- Volunteer and/or professional experience with Biodynamic farming, urban agriculture, local food systems, popular education, youth development, and/or community organizing is preferable.
- Proficiency in a second language
Please familiarize yourself with our website at www.learngrowconnect.org. Then send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or Angelic Organics Learning Center, 1547 Rockton Road, Caledonia IL 61011. If you submit your application via email, PDF format is preferred for all documents.