Food & Water Watch is a leading national consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns challenging the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources. Our Organizing Team is growing rapidly as we build a strong national network of activists and allied organizations.
The Online Campaign Organizer works to develop and implement online organizing campaigns, to build Food & Water Watch’s capacity, and increase our online to offline actions. This position is based in San Francisco, California.
- Write, edit, proof and distribute national and regional action alerts and fundraising emails for Food & Water Watch online activists.
- Develop and implement coordinated strategies for email communications to grow our list of online and offline supporters and members.
- Increase Food & Water Watch’s membership base by recruiting new members online and managing communication with members.
- Track and analyze all metrics related to online action and fundraising efforts.
- Testing and management of email protocol to develop organizational best practices.
- Help manage organizational list growth and acquisition.
- Work with Western Region organizing team to develop and coordinate regional and local online organizing strategies and campaigns in the West.
- Work with organizing team to synchronize online organizing with field organizing campaigns.
- Assist in creating and branding action alerts, web content and other materials needed to implement campaigns.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues and respond to information requests from activists, coalition members, and media if necessary.
- Participate in occasional offline campaign activities such as volunteer meetings or tabling events, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: College degree required.
- Experience: At least three years experience in online organizing or grassroots/field organizing. If the latter, strong knowledge of online organizing tools is a must. Experience using online tools to strengthen offline grassroots campaigns is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge: Online email campaign management and best practices; online fundraising management and best practices; grassroots organizing and advocacy techniques; familiarity with legislative campaigns; consumer and environmental issues; campaign and issue messaging best practices. Excellent knowledge of politics and national/international current events. Knowledge of, passion for, and experience with water, food, oceans, or public interest issues a strong plus.
- Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills, including online communications; strong interpersonal and planning skills; excellent organizational skills. Knowledge of CRM systems, databases, online activism and email programs. Html and web design a plus.
- Capabilities: Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a mass audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work. Ability to take direction, work well under pressure, form alliances with other organizations, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. Sense of humor appreciated.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Long/irregular hours and travel possible.
Competitive salary, dependent on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision/long-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid leave.
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.