The Farm Manager is responsible for all aspects of running a diversified, year-round, pasture-based livestock operation. This position is full-time (50+ hours per week) and salaried, with starting wage DOE.
- Managing animal nutrition, health, and productivity in an efficient and economical way
- Coordinating and executing pasture rotation for all animals on non-contiguous parcels
- Keeping excellent records of breeding, slaughter, and animal purchase
- Working with butcher shop and restaurant to create a production schedule and ensure adequate supply of meat and dairy products according to seasonal fluctuations
- Developing monthly, quarterly, and yearly budgets
- Providing basic veterinary care to all animals and attending to parturition
- Personnel management of 2-4 farm employees and implementation of training protocol
- Organizing all feed and supply orders in a timely and economical fashion; keeping track of inventory
- Working effectively with regulatory agencies to maintain all proper licenses and comply with health and safety regulations.
- Coordinating farm tours for customers and education groups
- At least 2 years experience managing livestock, including dairy and beef cows, pigs, sheep, and poultry.
- Basic animal health care experience, including humane restraint, giving subcutaneous and intramuscular injections, oral supplements, suturing wounds, hoof care, castration, pregnancy detection, and sheep shearing.
- Experience driving a truck and trailer, a box truck, and driving manual transmission. Must also have a valid driver’s license and safe driving skills.
- Ability to lift at least 50lb comfortably, work long hours outside in all weather, and have a flexible schedule.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with customer service and education; ability to give farm tours and answer questions in a friendly and engaging way.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starter with good leadership and teambuilding skills who enjoys working outside and takes pride in raising the highest quality pastured meat and dairy products. This person has excellent creative problem-solving and organizational skills, an eye for detail, and is not afraid of trying new things. To apply please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.