Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Share Our Strength,® a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by connecting children with the nutritious food they need to lead healthy, active lives. Through its No Kid Hungry Campaign®—a national effort to end childhood hunger in America by 2015—Share Our Strength ensures children in need are enrolled in federal nutrition programs, invests in community organizations fighting hunger, teaches families how to cook healthy meals on a budget, and builds public-private partnerships to end hunger, both nationally and at the state level. To assist us in our efforts, we are seeking to hire a Cooking Matters Central & Western Massachusetts Manager to help support our state and local partnerships to end childhood hunger.
The Central and Western Massachusetts Manager will be responsible for leading the growth and expansion of the statewide Cooking Matters program, focused on nutrition and culinary education throughout Central and Western Massachusetts. The Massachusetts Manager will also oversee the development of the Massachusetts area program including identifying, evaluating and recommending external opportunities for organizational growth and collaboration.
· Develop collaborative partnerships to expand course offerings throughout the central and western portions of the state.
· Recruit and evaluate partner organizations interested in delivering Cooking Matters courses through satellite partnerships.
· Foster relationships with potential stakeholders and funders.
· Evaluate and connect community organizations interested in hosting courses for their clients.
· Reach low-income families through the implementation of our cooking-based nutrition education courses.
· Oversee the existing satellite partnerships in Worcester and Fitchburg.
· Directly coordinate courses which include managing class logistics, food purchasing, providing class materials, and supporting volunteer instructors during class sessions.
· Develop supplemental course materials and activities for local and national use as appropriate.
· Work with Cooking Matters’ staff and advisory board to build our community presence with a focus on our online communications including the website, Facebook, and Twitter.
· Expand and develop the network of volunteers.
· Engage the culinary, nutrition, and anti-hunger communities to recruit course volunteers.
· Train volunteers to effectively teach Cooking Matters courses.
· Work with chefs, nutrition educators, and class assistants to implement cooking-based nutrition education courses.
· All other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Experienced coursework and/or credentials in Culinary or Nutrition/Dietetics.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages, including professional chefs, social service providers, volunteers and participants.
· Demonstrated ability to initiate, organize, prioritize, and work independently on multi-step, detail-oriented projects.
· Knowledge of low-income neighborhoods and social service agencies that serve those neighborhoods in Central and/or Western Massachusetts.
· Quick problem-solving skills and flexibility to do what’s needed.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to balance a variety of tasks simultaneously.
· Experience with volunteer management.
· Strong computer skills, including Excel and PowerPoint, as well as the ability to quickly learn new software programs and online platforms.
· Experience with social media and online communications desired.
· Appreciation for food, nutrition, and cooking as well as a desire to contribute to Share Our Strength’s mission.
· Driver’s license and access to a reliable car required.
· Ability and willingness to work evenings (approximately 1 -3 times per week); must be willing to adjust weekly schedule according to variable class times
· Out-of-state travel required 2-3 times per year
· Spoken and written Spanish preferred
Submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: email@example.com. Reference job title “Central & Western Manager” in the subject line. No calls please. Equal Opportunity Employer.