We are looking for three apprentices to join Edible Schoolyard NYC for our first summer season at P.S. 216 in Gravesend, Brooklyn. Two apprentices will support our Garden Teachers, and one will work primarily with our Kitchen Classroom Teacher.
Apprentices will join our lively garden staff for 7 weeks beginning in early July and ending in mid-August. As an Edible Schoolyard NYC apprentice you will have the chance to meet and work with leaders in the NYC urban agriculture movement, gain the skills you need to become a school garden educator, and teach families about preparing healthy, organic, delicious food.
Edible Schoolyard NYC partners with public schools to engage children in learning that makes the connection between food, health and how the Earth sustains us, cultivating the knowledge, skills and environment required to change the way children eat for life.
In October 2010 we broke ground on a half-acre garden behind P.S. 216 where there had once been an asphalt parking lot. With the help of students, we’ve planted our first fruit trees and our first crop of vegetables. We teach daily garden classes which are integrated into the elementary curriculum, demonstrating how we can help schools and communities make healthy food choices for themselves and for the planet.
Our first summer program will be focused on food and garden education for the whole family. PS 216 families will join us for weeklong garden programs during July and August that focus on growing, harvesting, cooking and sharing good food. Participating families will also have the chance to learn from visiting chefs and farmers and complete community service projects.
As an apprentice, your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with a diverse group of adults and children in an outdoor, garden setting
- Caring for a half-acre edible garden and preparing healthy meals as a group
- Program planning and management of daily logistics (food prep, making schedules, outlining activities)
- Assisting with lesson-planning and implementation
- Teaching alongside Edible Schoolyard NYC staff in a wide array of topics including nutrition, meal-planning, and backyard gardening
- General administrative tasks and office duties
An ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Individuals who are self-directed, enthusiastic, problem-solvers—who are excited to be part of a nascent program. A strong interest in food, gardening, education, and community building
- Well-organized and responsible—ability to multitask
- Takes initiative and works well independently, and also as part of a team
- Minimum of 1 year of college course work in a field related to the position for which you’re applying (e.g. nutrition, education, culinary studies, environmental science, sustainable agriculture)
- Experience in outdoor education or working with youth may be substituted for formal education.
- Energetic and willing to work outside during all weather
- Computer skills, including Word, Excel, and internet research
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with people of all ages and backgrounds
Apprentices will work from 8:30am – 3pm from July 8th through August 26th. Apprenticeships are unpaid at this time; however, academic credit may be earned in exchange for your time with ESYNYC.
Please send a resume and short cover letter to Hannah Eisler Burnett at email@example.com