We are seeking a strong, hard-working and motivated candidate to join our team as either a Communications or Online Outreach intern. We’re looking for someone who wants to work in a team and who enjoys the dynamic of a fast-paced organization where we juggle multiple projects on tight deadlines simultaneously without dropping the ball. We need a smart, talented, ambitious individual who can do it all and is committed to making a difference.
Learning the issues well enough to write confidently about them will take a bit of time and upfront investment; we therefore ask that you commit to at least 10-15 hours per week and a three-month commitment minimum. Below is a general description of the work, but we imagine tailoring to meet your specific strengths and interests.
Assist with Message & Content Development: Help draft action alerts, website copy,
blogs, fundraising appeals, and other creative materials;
Online Outreach: Coordinate efforts such as search engine optimization, social media
outreach (esp. Facebook & YouTube), Google AdWords.
Communications & Campaigns Research: Conduct target- and market-specific media
research as necessary to support campaign objectives;
Coordinate Media Relations: Help distribute press releases and coordinate calls; Respond
to media requests and arrange interviews for PAN staff; and
Other support duties as assigned.
Excellent verbal and writing skills.
Very strong online research skills and/or drive.
Familiarity with social media platforms preferred.
Recent college graduate, or less than a year of relevant experience.
Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Ability to work in diverse teams; manage time and workload effectively;
Demonstrated ability to work independently;
Good organizational skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity;
Understanding of environmental health, social justice and/or food system reform is strongly
preferred; passion around these issues is even better.
Reports to the Director of Communications, working relationships with Communications team &
• Bachelor’s degree, or pursuing one.
• Some work or volunteer experience.
• Experience in working in a diverse and fast-paced environment.
PAN is committed to working internationally and addressing structural and systemic inequities.
Accordingly, it is our policy to actively seek a diverse pool of candidates, from a variety of
backgrounds, who are committed to our mission and vision.
There is no stipend associated with intern positions at PAN; however, we do reimburse any local
commuting costs. Benefits include:
• Excellent springboard for those seeking career in environmental journalism or professional
• Strengthened research, writing and production skills
• Connections to individuals within the field
• Increased understanding of pesticide, sustainable agriculture, environmental science, social
justice and international development issues
• Experience in an established non-profit structure
• Increased understanding of effective routes to progressive reform
Submit the following to email@example.com:
• A cover letter indicating that you wish to apply for the Communications/Online Outreach
Intern position that demonstrates your combination of creativity and marketing instincts.
Include why you want to work with PAN and what experience/skills you hope to gain, your
available dates, and number of hours per week you wish to work. Please also include where
you learned of the position
• A current resume highlighting your experience and/or coursework relevant to the position
• A brief writing sample- preferably online content
• Contact information for two references (name, phone, e-mail, relationship)