Diversified, sustainable farm – vegetables, small orchard, sheep, goats, chickens – seeking Farm Manager to take charge of growing for a year-round CSA, two farmers markets, and restaurant sales in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are seeking someone who knows farming, is proud of having been successful at their previous CSA farm, and wants to learn more about marketing and the business end of making a living farming while doing what he or she loves. This could be the stepping stone to your own operation – our last three farm managers are now successfully running their own farms.
OVERALL: In consultation with the owner, manage all daily field, greenhouse and hoophouse operations for a CSA, farmers markets, and restaurant sales including crop planning, seeding, transplanting, cultivation, harvesting, packing and delivery of the highest quality produce.
Main Responsibilities and Activities
- Using sustainable practices, oversee field and plant health, crop planning and rotations, seeding, transplanting, direct-seeding and cultivation in both field and greenhouse; maintain required crop records
- Manage all harvesting and post-harvest handling, including preparing harvest schedules, harvesting crops, washing, packing and delivery
- Perform all tractor, tiller, hand-hoeing, etc. operations as required for optimal plant growth; maintain equipment in optimal working order, including scheduled maintenance of tractor and attachments
- Schedule watering needs as required by plant growth; manage and maintain irrigation systems
- Manage all aspects of ensuring a sustainable, healthy soil, such as soil analysis, composting, field prep, amendments, weeding, etc.
- Assist with other ranch duties as requested
Please send your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest, experience, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for someone to start May 1.