THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
Position: Part-Time Policy Intern, Tilth Producers of Washington, Seattle
Deadline for Applications: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Duration and Hours: Negotiable; prefer 40 weeks, 10 hours a week
Compensation: Modest stipend of $100 per month; includes $200 total budget for work-related travel
Tilth Producers is a statewide non-profit organization promoting organic farming systems through education, advocacy and networking. Tilth Producers of Washington seeks a Policy Intern to support its policy activities in the Seattle office.
The Policy Intern will promote Tilth Producers of Washington’s policy platform, coordinate organizational advocacy efforts, research and write white papers on selected policy issues, draft editorial responses, create content for the Tilth Producers website and list serve, and attend meetings, events and hearings.
· Excellent computer skills
· Interest in organic agriculture policy; familiarity with current issues
· Strong research, writing and analytical skills
· Self-motivated and ability to work independently
· Ability to work with and receive direction from teams, specifically Tilth Producers staff, its policy committee and program partners
· Basic knowledge of public policy process
· Ability to represent Tilth Producers in a professional manner
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
· Keep Tilth Producers membership current on policy issues by regularly composing abstracts for approval and distribution on list serve, website and journal, including advocacy needs/timelines
· Research and write white papers on agricultural policy issues as directed
· Assist with Farm Bill 2012 strategy development; serve as a liaison between Tilth Producers and the Northwest Farm Action Group, National Organic Coalition and other policy leaders
· Organize and attend farmer meetings and potlucks in WA to educate growers on important policy issues and how to engage in the legislative process and current issues
· Attend weekly telephone meetings on current legislative issues with other stakeholders
· Provide and/or record testimony on legislative issues as directed
· Draft timely editorial responses as directed
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com with “Policy Intern Application” in the subject line. Electronic applications only. Incomplete applications will not be considered.