LOCATION: Los Angeles
ORGANIZATION: Food Forward, www.foodforward.org
HOURS: 20-25 hours per week (flexible scheduling). The position starts as part – time with the possibility of growing to full – time in the coming year.
Food Forward’s mission is to connect our community with the abundance of food already present in our everyday lives, while effecting change in issues of urban hunger, food waste and food justice. Food Forward is a Los Angeles-based grassroots organization that harvests excess backyard fruits and vegetables and donates it to hungry Angelenos. Since forming in 2009, Food Forward has rescued over 360,000 pounds of produce from local backyards and orchards donating 100% to local food pantries.
Food Forward is growing by leaps and bounds and is at a critical point in its development. To keep up with the increasing opportunities coming to Food Forward, we are looking for an individual who will help us build the volunteer capacity of our organization by finding, engaging and supporting new and returning volunteers to take on mid-level leadership roles with Food Forward as: Pick Leaders (trained volunteers who regularly lead 3-15 volunteers at a time on fruit harvests); Neighborhood Captains (trained volunteers who become the “eyes and ears” for our organization in their particular neighborhood); and Property Scouts (trained volunteers who assess pre-screened properties and gauge their harvest-ability.)
The Volunteer Coordinator will report to the Managing Director and will be responsible for the following:
– Supporting and building our Neighborhood Captain, Pick Leader and Property Scout Programs
– Conducting outreach to recruit new volunteers for the Neighborhood Captain, Pick Leader and Property Scout Programs
– Recruit and train groups such as (Girl Scouts, University groups, faith- based) to be neighborhood captains Pick Leaders and Property Scouts
– Supporting and managing our current volunteer base and helping transition appropriate volunteers into more involved service with the organization at multiple levels and positions
– Developing and implementing programs that further engage our current volunteer base
– Working with our Property Coordinator to fill picks with volunteers and pair the appropriate Pick Leader with property selected to be harvested
– Written and verbal communication with volunteers, including creating newsletters
– Updating website with new volunteer opportunities and events
We are looking for a “people person” who enjoys nurturing and building relationships, is comfortable handling various personalities, attitudes, and different levels of volunteer engagement and volunteer time commitments. Candidate should be creative, organized, outside-the-box thinker, detail oriented, a “doer” and enjoy outdoor physical activities. Candidate should be able to discuss and execute examples of outreach and volunteer engagement strategies during the interviewing process. Ideally, the candidate will have a strong interest in hunger and food justice issues.
Other qualifications include:
– Bachelors Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in a related field
– 2+ years experience in volunteer management and outreach
– Proven effective outreach skills
– Strong people and relationship building skills
– 2+ years experience working in a non-profit
– A valid drivers license
– Willingness to work some weekends
– Knowledge and comfort with Twitter, Facebook and other social media and volunteer websites
– Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred
COMPENSATION: $17,500/year (part – time)
NEXT STEP: If interested, please send a letter of interest and resume to Meg Glasser, Managing Director, at email@example.com with the subject “Volunteer Coordinator” describing why you are excited about this role and what you are able to offer to it. Thank you!